2013 DJ Mopar Fog Light Kit

Hawaii

I am going to guess that the dealer will have to become involved at some point. The CANBus controls whether the fog lights are on with the high beams (they shouldn't be) or not. I'm also going to guess that this is controlled, like the DRLs, by a code that specifies to the vehicle's computer that it has fog lights and how the computer should behave, so it isn't just a simple power on / power off operation controlled by a hardwired switch. The code on my '13 R/T is LNJS for the US build indicating that fog lights are installed. I would assume that the kit comes complete with whatever hardware would be required (relays, new headlight switch, etc.) but, I would think the dealer would have to "enable" them on the CANBus to have them works like the stock units. In the "old days", you just hardwired them in (direct to the battery with a fuse and an inside switch) and I suppose you could do the same. On today's computer controlled cars, more and more devices are "tied" together through the onboard circuitry and like other computers, there is an "installation" process that the dealer does that enables the onboard computer to recongize the device and control it properly. Like the DRLs, it involves letting the system know, first, that the device is installed and that's done with VIN codes with linked device/option codes for that vehicle. Once the car knows it has them, the computer will know what to do...if it doesn't know it has them, it won't behave correctly.

He shouldn't charge much if anything (I've bought a boat load of vehicles over the years at mine and they don't charge me at all for a lot of this sort of thing). I would install it first and see if you actually need to see him at all. It may be possible that the CANBus is, in the case of fog lights, "self-sensing" and may detect their addition automatically and make the additional changes in their behaviour without needed dealer interaction. I'm only guessing that the dealer might have to make a change to the VIN, since the Fog Lights have their own seperate option code. The CANBus is the MOPAR iteration of the OBD II computer system used on their cars that tie all the individual computer modules together into a cohesive "control" environment for all the different areas of your car. There are entertainment modules, engine modules, brake modules, transmission modules, options modules, etc. and they all need to communicate with each other in order to vary the operation of their "parts"...the CANBus is the pathway for that communication and the modules themselves. Controller Area Network bus...

He shouldn't charge much if anything (I've bought a boat load of vehicles over the years at mine and they don't charge me at all for a lot of this sort of thing). I would install it first and see if you actually need to see him at all. It may be possible that the CANBus is, in the case of fog lights, "self-sensing" and may detect their addition automatically and make the additional changes in their behaviour without needed dealer interaction. I'm only guessing that the dealer might have to make a change to the VIN, since the Fog Lights have their own seperate option code. The CANBus is the MOPAR iteration of the OBD II computer system used on their cars that tie all the individual computer modules together into a cohesive "control" environment for all the different areas of your car. There are entertainment modules, engine modules, brake modules, transmission modules, options modules, etc. and they all need to communicate with each other in order to vary the operation of their "parts"...the CANBus is the pathway for that communication and the modules themselves. Controller Area Network bus...

Webslave....

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

• Official Dodge Support

Hawaii,

Found a kit available through our dealer network that looks pretty cool.

Mopar Fog Lights:

These lights undercut inclement weather and minimize glare. They are designed specifically for your vehicle and provide an integrated look.

Additional Details: Fog Lights, Complete kit, same as production, for vehicles without Auto Headlights

Part # 82212736

Looks like we have a few dealers that carry this in stock in the GTA area, if not, are national depot has a bunch. I would go see your local dealer (Parts Department) and confirm via your VIN# that this kit is compatible for your DJ, as well as pricing, installation.

Hope this helps!

• 2 months later...