Five Month / 5,000 Mile 2012 SXT Review

Brucebotti

The vehicle we purchased was a new Silver 2012 SXT with 3.6L / FWD. The options on it are, the third row seating, the Popular Equipment Group, and the 19" wheels. So far it has been absolutely fantastic. We bought it in November. The sticker was $27,885. They knocked $2,200 off of the sticker, plus there was a $4,500 rebate, so it ended up being $21,185 + tax & registration. We were quite pleased.

- Great in snow

- Smooth and powerful

- Very quiet and comfortable

- Handles very well for the type of vehicle that it is.

- Love the wheels

- Decent gas mileage. Worst:17.9 mpg Best: 25.4 mpg

- Took it on a 500 mile round trip with four adults and three kids in car seats. We fit comfortably, and averaged 25.4 mpg.

Dislikes:

- The A-pillar and mirror combo are huge and hinder vision. I'm sure it would be the same on similar vehicles. It just takes some getting used to.

- The rear view with car seats installed is limited.

- The transmission takes some getting used to, especially on steep hills where it takes forever to downshift. I am getting used to it, and overall, I am pleased with the tranny's performance.

- Our vehicle was built in Feb '12, so it has the smaller brakes. So far this hasn't been an issue for us.

I hope to have a similarly positive report at 12 months / 12,000 miles!

Thanks,

Bruce

• 1 month later...

You got a great deal on your Journey! Great to hear how happy you are with it. If I had any complaints, it is also with the shifting. I know it is adaptive and will "learn" your style of driving but it seems to get into high gear too quickly. 3-4 upshift is a bit abrupt. Wondering if yours has become more adaptive to your style and how many miles before doing so.

I drove a 2014 Grand Cherokee the other day with the 8 speed automatic. It has a Sport mode which holds the lower gears longer, allowing the revs to build before upshifting to the next ratio. That was absolutely the way to go and I wish it were available in the Journey as well.

You got a great deal on your Journey! Great to hear how happy you are with it. If I had any complaints, it is also with the shifting. I know it is adaptive and will "learn" your style of driving but it seems to get into high gear too quickly. 3-4 upshift is a bit abrupt. Wondering if yours has become more adaptive to your style and how many miles before doing so.

I drove a 2014 Grand Cherokee the other day with the 8 speed automatic. It has a Sport mode which holds the lower gears longer, allowing the revs to build before upshifting to the next ratio. That was absolutely the way to go and I wish it were available in the Journey as well.

It has gotten a little better, but still up-shifts too quickly on a few hills near my home. When I turn onto my street, I often shift it manually because it annoys me when it up-shifts too quickly, then bogs down, then down-shifts a couple of gears.

I still love it despite that. We just got back from a 3,000 mile round trip to Disney World. It ran flawlessly and averaged 25.4 mpg, even though cruising at 75-80 mph all the way.

Bruce

Glad to hear that it has performed so well and that you are happy with it. I am envious of your road trip. I was just saying the other day how I would love to just get in ours and drive to Punta Gorda just to make sure the water is turned off in our condo! (I live in NY)

I work for a dealer. There may be software updates for shift quality in the future. If there is ever an update released, I will post it here so you can take your Journey to your dealer to have it done.

Also good to see that it performs well in snow. I suspected as such. We own two 300M's and they are excellent in snow. Around here, the terrain is flat and we've never been stuck. The front weight bias of the Journey is similar to that of the 300M - about 60% So, when it came time to order our Journey, I decided that we have never needed AWD and felt it would be best to skip it (an $1800.00 option) and put that savings toward options that we would really like. We ended up getting our Crew fully loaded. The only options we did not get were Rear Seat DVD and Engine Block Heater.

Edited by Journeyman425

The vehicle we purchased was a new Silver 2012 SXT with 3.6L / FWD. The options on it are, the third row seating, the Popular Equipment Group, and the 19" wheels. So far it has been absolutely fantastic. We bought it in November. The sticker was $27,885. They knocked $2,200 off of the sticker, plus there was a $4,500 rebate, so it ended up being $21,185 + tax & registration. We were quite pleased.

- Great in snow

- Smooth and powerful

- Very quiet and comfortable

- Handles very well for the type of vehicle that it is.

- Love the wheels

- Decent gas mileage. Worst:17.9 mpg Best: 25.4 mpg

- Took it on a 500 mile round trip with four adults and three kids in car seats. We fit comfortably, and averaged 25.4 mpg.

Dislikes:

- The A-pillar and mirror combo are huge and hinder vision. I'm sure it would be the same on similar vehicles. It just takes some getting used to.

- The rear view with car seats installed is limited.

- The transmission takes some getting used to, especially on steep hills where it takes forever to downshift. I am getting used to it, and overall, I am pleased with the tranny's performance.

- Our vehicle was built in Feb '12, so it has the smaller brakes. So far this hasn't been an issue for us.

I hope to have a similarly positive report at 12 months / 12,000 miles!

Thanks,

Bruce

That was a hell of a deal.:-)). Im jealous. We got 2012r/t fully loaded excep booster seats! We only got manufacturer rebate of $3000 and dealer gave us $500 discount! So we just knock off $3500 out of sticker prize, just half of what you got! Plus 4.9% interest on financing.