I have a 2012 Dodge Journey SXT with 37,000 kms on it. A few weeks ago after a snow fall I got the message "Service AWD" and it would only drive in front wheel drive. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't really figure out what was wrong with it. They set the tire sizes into the computer and told me it was fixed. I had AWD for a few weeks and then tonight again it gave me the "Service AWD" error and I only had front wheel drive again. I hooked it up to an after market code reader and cleared the codes. It seems to have AWD again but this cutting in and out of AWD is SUPER inconvenient and not why I bought a Journey. Has anyone had this issue? How did you fix it? Any suggestions?

• Official Dodge Support
I have a 2012 Dodge Journey SXT with 37,000 kms on it. A few weeks ago after a snow fall I got the message "Service AWD" and it would only drive in front wheel drive. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't really figure out what was wrong with it. They set the tire sizes into the computer and told me it was fixed. I had AWD for a few weeks and then tonight again it gave me the "Service AWD" error and I only had front wheel drive again. I hooked it up to an after market code reader and cleared the codes. It seems to have AWD again but this cutting in and out of AWD is SUPER inconvenient and not why I bought a Journey. Has anyone had this issue? How did you fix it? Any suggestions?

Broken,

I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your AWD system.

There can be a combination of things that could affect the system such as tire size (which your dealer has addressed) but that being said, my only recommendation at this point is to continue with your dealer.

If the light comes back on, call the dealer and then get in as soon as you can or contact Road Side Assistance to get it towed in. If you go that route, do not let the tow truck driver touch anything, just have them tow it and that's it.

The reason I say this is that they could inadvertently clear any codes - active or stored - and we're back to square one.

Also, please don't clear any codes yourself, they are what help us and the dealer investigate an issue.

Keep me posted and if need be, if/when it happens again, send me a PM.