Smoke coming from engine compartment

steve1.21

:banghead: A few days ago, thick white smoke starting coming from the engine compartment of my 6 week old Journey. It smelled like rubber or electronics burning. I shut off the engine, took a look under the hood and under the engine, I could not find anything burnt. Also I did not run thru any liquids that may have splashed on the engine. I can not allow my family to ride in this vehicle now. It is currently at the dealership, I hope they find the cause. It did not smoke again after that. I also have other problems, the engine growling noise at low rpms, the loud grinding noise when turning left, they are also replacing the computer, they said there where codes that indicated it needed to be replaced. But my main concern is the smoking engine. If anyone can help, please let me know.

Thanks

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
:banghead: A few days ago, thick white smoke starting coming from the engine compartment of my 6 week old Journey. It smelled like rubber or electronics burning. I shut off the engine, took a look under the hood and under the engine, I could not find anything burnt. Also I did not run thru any liquids that may have splashed on the engine. I can not allow my family to ride in this vehicle now. It is currently at the dealership, I hope they find the cause. It did not smoke again after that. I also have other problems, the engine growling noise at low rpms, the loud grinding noise when turning left, they are also replacing the computer, they said there where codes that indicated it needed to be replaced. But my main concern is the smoking engine. If anyone can help, please let me know.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve -

Don't know if this is related or not, but I've had that problem (& continue to) and the [JOKE] of a dealer that I had look at it before said it was the rotor/brake pad combination on the vehicle. They've since replaced the rotors, but I'm still having the acrid smoke coming from the car. I've noticed mine is more when I've been sitting at a light for more than a few minutes - is this the same as your experience? We have an appt next week with a different dealer for them to take a look - and the tech mentioned that they had a similar problem with the new Caravans and he was curious if it had carried over to the Journey. Don't know if this was any help or not.

Thanks-

Sharon

I had smoke coming from the engine compartment and right front wheel well, horrible smell of burnt gear oil. No leak at first, but a leak did develop. My issue was a leaky front right axle seal. I only had 800 miles on my Journey when this cropped up. Gear oil was leaking on to engine block or exhaust. Dealer fixed no problem.

Hi just found this site while I was looking for information on what I think might be problems and really are not.

I ordered my Journey in March and received it on July 31st. What a Journey no pun intended. As I was reading this post the answer to the whine from the , as front end when turning left could possibly be the power steering box and air trapped, as was the case with mine I had the same problem and the dealer bled air that was in it and it was cured.

My concerns not in any particular order.

1) Gas Mileage sticker indicates 8.9/100k highway and 14/100 city. I am currently averaging around 13 and I do mostly highway.

2) Bluetooth phone difficulty connecting. Dial through blackberry and my phone shows connected but not coming through the system.

Does anybody know where you can find info when Mygig computer updates are released.

Journey in TO

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Steve -

Don't know if this is related or not, but I've had that problem (& continue to) and the [JOKE] of a dealer that I had look at it before said it was the rotor/brake pad combination on the vehicle. They've since replaced the rotors, but I'm still having the acrid smoke coming from the car. I've noticed mine is more when I've been sitting at a light for more than a few minutes - is this the same as your experience? We have an appt next week with a different dealer for them to take a look - and the tech mentioned that they had a similar problem with the new Caravans and he was curious if it had carried over to the Journey. Don't know if this was any help or not.

Thanks-

Sharon

UPDATE: took car to appt - found that, as with the new Caravans - my right front caliper was sticking and causing the brake pads to overheat and smoke. They replaced the caliper - had it in within 3 days - and I've not had any problems since. This is also the dealer that corrected my left turn noise (power steering fluid) that the other dealer "could not duplicate". Also - within 2 days of their repairs, we went on vacation to the Smoky Mtns and never once had any problems with smoking or squealing from the car. I love this thing!! :)

Hi Steve -

Thanks-

Sharon

UPDATE: took car to appt - found that, as with the new Caravans - my right front caliper was sticking and causing the brake pads to overheat and smoke. They replaced the caliper - had it in within 3 days - and I've not had any problems since. This is also the dealer that corrected my left turn noise (power steering fluid) that the other dealer "could not duplicate". Also - within 2 days of their repairs, we went on vacation to the Smoky Mtns and never once had any problems with smoking or squealing from the car. I love this thing!! :)