Thunk noise when putting into P on an Incline

korax123

When we park the Journey on a incline it makes a thunk when you put it into park.

When your on a flat surface it does not do it. I think there is a loose motor mount or transmission mount.

Atleast thats what it feels like.

Anyone else have this issue with the 4cyl model???

When we park the Journey on a incline it makes a thunk when you put it into park.

When your on a flat surface it does not do it. I think there is a loose motor mount or transmission mount.

Atleast thats what it feels like.

Anyone else have this issue with the 4cyl model???

I get that too, but really haven't thought much about it.

I get that too, but really haven't thought much about it.

Im taking it in on Thursday Morning. I guess I will find out then. All I know if it is a loose mount then thats extra

stress on the drive train every time it thunks.

And for a brand new car I won't live with it. I mean sure after 70k or more I can see something like this coming

up but not under 1000 miles.

It happens on alot of cars, not just the Journey. Sometimes on an incline the increased load of the vehicle basically sittting back if you will on its internal mechanisms causes a clunk or drive train noise. The reason you don't get it on flats is the load is evenly distributed and not cause force on the drivetrain.

The noise you are hearing is the pawl in the transmission that locks the drivetrain when the gearshift is in park. This is often a normal noise on any automatic transmission. When the vehicle is on a flat surface, there is very little load placed on the pawl, however when on an incline, the pawl is holding the entire weight of the vehicle from rolling downhill. When shifting out of park, you are releasing this pawl and whatever load might be placed on it from the wheels.

If you don't want to hear it, here's what you do when parking on an incline:

1. Before shifting into park, depress and hold the brake pedal as you would normally do.

2. Engage the parking brake by pressing down on the parking brake pedal with your left foot.

3. Shift the vehicle into park.

4. Release the service brake and continue your normal shutdown of the vehicle.

The process is similar when starting back up.

1. Start the vehicle

2. Depress and hold the service brake pedal.

3. Shift into R, N, or D

4. Disengage the parking brake with your left foot

5. Proceed as you normally would.

With this process, the friction-based parking brakes keep the vehicle from rolling instead of the pawl that locks the drivetrain in the transaxle. Since the brakes are holding the vehicle, the pawl doesn't get loaded with the vehicle weight, and doesn't disengage with a lot of force or noise.

It's a good idea to use the parking brake occasionally anyway. If it doesn't get used, the cable tends to develop rust and may cause the parking brakes to stick on if they are used after a very long period of non-use.

The noise you are hearing is the pawl in the transmission that locks the drivetrain when the gearshift is in park. This is often a normal noise on any automatic transmission. When the vehicle is on a flat surface, there is very little load placed on the pawl, however when on an incline, the pawl is holding the entire weight of the vehicle from rolling downhill. When shifting out of park, you are releasing this pawl and whatever load might be placed on it from the wheels.

If you don't want to hear it, here's what you do when parking on an incline:

1. Before shifting into park, depress and hold the brake pedal as you would normally do.

2. Engage the parking brake by pressing down on the parking brake pedal with your left foot.

3. Shift the vehicle into park.

4. Release the service brake and continue your normal shutdown of the vehicle.

The process is similar when starting back up.

1. Start the vehicle

2. Depress and hold the service brake pedal.

3. Shift into R, N, or D

4. Disengage the parking brake with your left foot

5. Proceed as you normally would.

With this process, the friction-based parking brakes keep the vehicle from rolling instead of the pawl that locks the drivetrain in the transaxle. Since the brakes are holding the vehicle, the pawl doesn't get loaded with the vehicle weight, and doesn't disengage with a lot of force or noise.

It's a good idea to use the parking brake occasionally anyway. If it doesn't get used, the cable tends to develop rust and may cause the parking brakes to stick on if they are used after a very long period of non-use.

Yea it's been awhile since we owned an auto. The service manager told me to push hard on the brake pedal or put the parking brake on and see if it still happens.

On a side note they noticed when you put the vehicle into drive it the tranny sounds like it's builing up pressure for like 5 seconds. I didn't even notice it they did. It's not a very loud noise but you can hear it. The service manager went in the vehicle and showed it to me. He said the vehicle operation was all normal and when they get another 4cyl Journey in they will see if it makes the same noise.