Seat backs coming apart

TheStewie

Our second row seat has a cracked board in the backing. I'm not sure if it was slightly too small from the factory because it was loose when we got it or if it broke then.

The backing under the material is cheap particle type board with a hole in it to go over a plastic connector. It cracked right in the corner so it pops up when the seats are laid down flat.

The dealer is going to try and get a new back so we'll see how long it takes.

The Stewie.

• 3 weeks later...
Our second row seat has a cracked board in the backing. I'm not sure if it was slightly too small from the factory because it was loose when we got it or if it broke then.

The backing under the material is cheap particle type board with a hole in it to go over a plastic connector. It cracked right in the corner so it pops up when the seats are laid down flat.

The dealer is going to try and get a new back so we'll see how long it takes.

The Stewie.

Everyone with the 3rd row seat option should be aware of this!

I had the same exact exact thing happen to mine less than a week after I bought it. The dealer ordered a new seatback and replaced it within a week at n/c. I think I know what caused it. I bet you have the third row seat option like I do. If you lay both the 2nd and 3rd row seats down, and then pull your 3rd row seats back up first before pulling up the 2nd row seats, the headrest on the 3rd row seat can catch on the corner of the 2nd row seatback, thus pulling up the corner of the seatback and probably breaking the cardboard in the corner ot the seatback. This can happen if your 2nd row seats are slid all the way back. You either have to make sure you pull-up the 2nd row seats before pulling up the 3rd row or slide the 2nd row seats forward a bit before pulling up the 3rd row seats. This is something dodge could easily fix. They need to redesign the seatback by tapering the two bottom corners of the seatback so that the bottom of the 2nd row seat sticks out farther than the seatback, even when the 3rd row headrest is being compressed against the bottom of the 2nd row seat.

Everyone with the 3rd row seat option should be aware of this!

I had the same exact exact thing happen to mine less than a week after I bought it. The dealer ordered a new seatback and replaced it within a week at n/c. I think I know what caused it. I bet you have the third row seat option. I do. If you lay both the 2nd and 3rd row seats down, and then pull your 3rd row seats back up first before pulling up the 2nd row seats, the headrest on the 3rd row seat can catch on the corner of the 2nd row seatback, thus pulling up the corner of the seatback and probably breaking the (what I call) cardboard in the corner ot the seatback. This can happen if your 2nd row seats are slid all the way back. You either have to make sure you pull-up the 2nd row seats before pulling up the 3rd row or slide the 2nd row seats forward a bit before pulling up the 3rd row seats. This is something dodge could easily fix. They need to redesign the seatback by tapering the two bottom corners of the seatback so that the bottom of the 2nd row seat sticks out farther than the seatback, even when the 3rd row headrest is being compressed against the bottom of the 2nd row seat.

SXT FWD

Deep Water Blue Pearl Coat

Flexible Seating Group

Convenience Group I

Safe and Sound Group

Rear Seat Video Group I

Fog Lights

Sounds like a reasonable explanation to me. It was much like my wife asking where the seat belt connector was for the middle seat of the second row. Through moving them back and forth and lifting them, it had got jammed behind and underneath the central cup holder/rest so yep I agree on the seat issue.

Ours will be replaced next week along with the fluid switch in the brake cyllinder.

The other issue is the thin leather in the seats. Very nice but ours has a small scrape already. The top layer is so thin I think a rough edge of plastic scraped it but didn't perforate it. I can't believe it was so easy to mark.

The Stewie