False Alarm when locking doors

So the other night, around midnight, just getting ready to turn in, and the wife asks if I locked the car. Just to make sure, I grabbed the key/fob and pressed the "lock" button, at which point the alarm began going off.

Couldn't figure out how I could have possibly set the alarm off with the remote, unless the car somehow got a "panic" instead of "lock" - I figure I was close to the max range for the remote, given the distance and number of obstacles between me and the car. So I moved closer to the car, and attempted to cancel the panic by pressing and holding the panic button. All this succeeded in doing was to make the beeps faster (or slower - it's hard to remember for sure).

No matter what I did, I was not able to silence this alarm. Pressing panic on the remote would speed up/slow down the beeps each time, but nothing else had any effect - Pressing lock or unlock on the remote; locking then unlocking the door with the passkey; starting the car with the key/fob - nothing.

Finally, after several minutes, the original alarm must ahve timed out, and pressing panic once more actually stopped the alarm. Of course by now, several of my neighbors were standing in their driveways glaring at me :blush:

Anybody else have the alarm go off and not able to silence it? Ever set the alarm off with the "lock" button? How *do* you stop the alarm once it starts?

So the other night, around midnight, just getting ready to turn in, and the wife asks if I locked the car. Just to make sure, I grabbed the key/fob and pressed the "lock" button, at which point the alarm began going off.

Couldn't figure out how I could have possibly set the alarm off with the remote, unless the car somehow got a "panic" instead of "lock" - I figure I was close to the max range for the remote, given the distance and number of obstacles between me and the car. So I moved closer to the car, and attempted to cancel the panic by pressing and holding the panic button. All this succeeded in doing was to make the beeps faster (or slower - it's hard to remember for sure).

No matter what I did, I was not able to silence this alarm. Pressing panic on the remote would speed up/slow down the beeps each time, but nothing else had any effect - Pressing lock or unlock on the remote; locking then unlocking the door with the passkey; starting the car with the key/fob - nothing.

Finally, after several minutes, the original alarm must ahve timed out, and pressing panic once more actually stopped the alarm. Of course by now, several of my neighbors were standing in their driveways glaring at me :blush:

Anybody else have the alarm go off and not able to silence it? Ever set the alarm off with the "lock" button? How *do* you stop the alarm once it starts?

When the alarm starts, just press "unlock" to stop it.

I have had this happen twice already and have not been able to shut it off. We have pressed everything on the remote.... This last time it continued for several minutes before we were able to finally shut it off. We opened the door, which in turn set off the actual car alarm, and put the key in the ignition. Once we took the key out of the ignition and pressed the panic button it stopped. Not sure if it was a coincidence or not. I am actully going to bring this to the dealers attention to see if a TSB has been issued for this problem.

I have had this happen twice already and have not been able to shut it off. We have pressed everything on the remote.... This last time it continued for several minutes before we were able to finally shut it off. We opened the door, which in turn set off the actual car alarm, and put the key in the ignition. Once we took the key out of the ignition and pressed the panic button it stopped. Not sure if it was a coincidence or not. I am actully going to bring this to the dealers attention to see if a TSB has been issued for this problem.

Clearly, the system is not supposed to alarm just from locking the doors. I think when this happens, the mechanism(s) for turning it off don't work either. You just have to wait for it to time out. Sometime when I get a chance and I'm not likely to disturb anyone too much, I'm going to experiment with this and see if I can figure out the magical sequence.

On 5 occasions we are walking to the vehicle and press the Unlock button and the alarm goes off.

None of the buttons on the key FOB work.

We needed to use the valet key to get in and start the car in order to get it to stop.

This has happened with each of our keys.

It is impossible to duplicate the issue but it does happen now and then.

No fix so far...

• 2 weeks later...
Clearly, the system is not supposed to alarm just from locking the doors. I think when this happens, the mechanism(s) for turning it off don't work either. You just have to wait for it to time out. Sometime when I get a chance and I'm not likely to disturb anyone too much, I'm going to experiment with this and see if I can figure out the magical sequence.

Yes the same thing has happened to me 4 times in the 3 months that I have had my Journey. Every time while approaching the vehicle, and while getting ready to press the fob. The alarm will activate and the only way to shut it off is by taking the actual key out and unlocking the door manually, then starting the engine.

The dealer doesn't know what to make of it. I think it might be a defective fob. I am going to switch the fob I regularly use with they one I have put away and see if that doesn't happen any more. If it doesn't do that again for 3 or 4 months I am going to have the dealer replace the defective fob. If it does happen again, I'm back square 1.

SXT FWD

Deep Water Blue Pearl Coat

Flexible Seating Group

Convenience Group I

Safe and Sound Group

Rear Seat Video Group I

Fog Lights

• 1 month later...