Engine being replaced

CliffB

Took our Journey SXT AWD back to the dealer on July 6, left turn noise & burning oil odor still there. The new problem was engine noise, sounded like lifters tapping upon startup then a low knock afterwards. Chrysler Rep. had the rocker assembly replaced by the dealer on 7/16 but this didn't correct the problem so he told the svc. mgr. that he ordered a complete engine assembly on 7/18. 2200 miles & the engines getting replaced!!! I'll be calling Chrysler on Monday.

Took our Journey SXT AWD back to the dealer on July 6, left turn noise & burning oil odor still there. The new problem was engine noise, sounded like lifters tapping upon startup then a low knock afterwards. Chrysler Rep. had the rocker assembly replaced by the dealer on 7/16 but this didn't correct the problem so he told the svc. mgr. that he ordered a complete engine assembly on 7/18. 2200 miles & the engines getting replaced!!! I'll be calling Chrysler on Monday.

How was the coolant level?

We had the tow prep package added on after they forgot it and a few days later the engine was overheating to to coolant levels.

It was topped up and yesterday I had to add a liter and a half to bring the level up to the proper level when cold. I don't know if it wasn't topped up properly or the stuff is "vanishing". There are no visible leaks and the car runs fine and very quiet.

I'll tell you in a week or so if it is fine but I'm curious as to what thy say about your engine.

The Stewie

• 4 weeks later...

We got our Journey back on 7/31 after 25 more days at the dealer. Complete engine was replaced with no real explanation of what the problem was. While the engine out they found one of four bolts missing from the flywheel !! As for the odor problem, although the Chrysler District Rep wrote it off as "normal" the service mgr. persisted in trying to figure it out and checked out the transfer case. He found it full of what appeared to be used, burnt gear oil that was some how put in on the assembly line. The grinding on left turns continues and I'll be going back for that problem when I have time to drive it with a tech to point out the noise.

The grinding on left turns continues and I'll be going back for that problem when I have time to drive it with a tech to point out the noise.

Chrysler just nailed down this problem, a TSB should be coming out sometime in September which will have the power steering fuild resevoir replaced with one that is a little taller. Apparently the fluid sloshes to one side during left turns, allowing the power steering pump to suck a little bit of air, causing it to cavitate. The quick fix for now is to ask your service advisor to have the fluid resevoir overfilled 4mm above the maximum fill mark.

• 3 months later...
We got our Journey back on 7/31 after 25 more days at the dealer. Complete engine was replaced with no real explanation of what the problem was. While the engine out they found one of four bolts missing from the flywheel !! As for the odor problem, although the Chrysler District Rep wrote it off as "normal" the service mgr. persisted in trying to figure it out and checked out the transfer case. He found it full of what appeared to be used, burnt gear oil that was some how put in on the assembly line. The grinding on left turns continues and I'll be going back for that problem when I have time to drive it with a tech to point out the noise.

how is the Journey doing after the engine being replaced? I have many many engine troubles with mine and engineering is now considering replacing the whole engine with 7500 km. the lifter has been replaced twice and rockers have been rplaced twice due to ticking noise. It definately is the rocker or lifter but they cannot fix it. also had tippum modlue replace after car stalled on me a few times. Also when driving at approx 20km i get a "clink" sound. Dealership says they cant believe my journey is in all the time and the others are just in for recall work and they dont have any of these issues. also i have the clunk when putting into reverse and the left turn honk/growl... so after your engine has been replaced is it any better? any info would be much appreciated!

Our Journey, with its new engine is doing great. I'm very glad that we kept it instead of doing a buyback with Chrysler. Its unfortunate that the dealers don't have a network or something to communicate with each other, especially for uncommon issues. Our Journey wasn't released to us after the lifters and rocker arm assembly were replaced, they just kept it and ordered a new engine from the factory. Good luck with yours Shawna

Our Journey, with its new engine is doing great. I'm very glad that we kept it instead of doing a buyback with Chrysler. Its unfortunate that the dealers don't have a network or something to communicate with each other, especially for uncommon issues. Our Journey wasn't released to us after the lifters and rocker arm assembly were replaced, they just kept it and ordered a new engine from the factory. Good luck with yours Shawna

Thank you so much... The journey goes in next week and they will have engineering troubleshoot to fix these issues, if not they will take my engine back and send a new one so they can look over my engine and see what went wrong. I love my journey im just tired of being in the shop every week (literally!). Will know by the end of next week what they are going to do. We all hope they are going to replace the engine, even the service manager said at this point thats the only resolution. I was thinking of doing the buy back as well, but with you experience I will push harder for a new engine.