SE versus SXT Specs

Brucebotti

Greetings,

I have been looking at the Journey for awhile, and I have been lurking here as well. One of my questios is, what is the real difference between the SE and the SXT? I have looked on the Dodge.com site and looked at dealer literature (sales brochure). I printed out window stickers for each, and I can't see a big difference, especially to justify the $4,000 upcharge. Is there a list somewhere that will allow me to compare and see the differences?

Thanks,

Bruce

The SXT comes with the 6 cylinder engine while the SE is a 4.....that alone would be a huge difference in cost.

That's incorrect.

The SXT comes standard with the 4cyl.

At the SXT level, it's an option.

I think the rims, the privacy glass, roof rack, satellite radio, and full body color are the main differences.

I also don't think you're looking at a base SXT. The price jump isn't 4k from an SE.

Only if u add either AWD or the v6.

Together, those options jump the price around 6k from the starting point of an SXT.

The base model 2012 (CVP/AVP) is the same price in both the U.S. and Canada.

In the US, for a mere $2,000 (sarcasm intended) the SE provides the following over the base (AVP) model:

- Deep tint glass

- LED Taillights

- Black roof side rails

The retail price difference between a 2012 U.S. SE and a U.S. SXT is another $2,000. For your extra money you get:

- Front and rear performance fascias

- 17-inch aluminum wheels

- Fog lamps

- Floor mats

- 4.3-inch Uconnect® Touchscreen with CD, MP3 and SiriusXM Satellite Radio+

- Body-color heated and powered exterior mirrors

Noting that the wheels, mirrors and floor mats (and rear cargo cover too) are included with the Canadian SE. I'm not certain as to whether the 2012 US SE includes the crossbars for the roof rack like they do in Canada - the web site doesn't say (what you see was copied and pasted from the dodge.com web site).

In Canada the 2012 SE is a MUCH better value proposition than the US version.

For $1,500 extra Canadian SE model buyers get the following over a base (CVP, the Canadian equivalent of the AVP) Journey:

- Deep tinted windows

- LED tail lights,

- Roof rails and rack,

- Floor mats,

- Cargo covers,

- 17" Aluminum wheels,

- Leather steering wheel and shifter knob,

- Body colored heated, power rear view mirrors

For $1800 more the base Canadian SXT adds:

- Fog lights

- Cargo net

- Overhead console

- Compass

- Alarm system

- Automatic headlights

- One touch down AND up windows

- Upgraded bumpers

While the cover page on the Canadian web site says it is standard, the optional 6 cylinder engine with 6 speed transmission and upgraded suspension are extra cost items in both 2012 and 2013, the same as in the U.S.

Edited by bramfrank

Thanks for the info. If I line up window stickers from a 2013 SE Versus SXT, there is a difference of $4,000 ($18,995 versus $22,995). They both have the same 4cyl / 4-spd auto. The only differences shown for standard equipment on the SXT versus the SE are:

- Sirius sattelite radio for one year

- Cargo Net

- F & R Floor mats

- Aluminum wheels

- Fog lamps

- Body color exterior mirrors

- Deeper tinted glass

I must be missing something, but that doesn't seem to be worth an extra $4,000 . Just my $.02.

Bruce

According to dodge.com

The AVP model starts at 19.5k. The SE Starts at 21.4k.

You're looking at the AVP model. Doesn't have the LED tail lights, along with the 09 front bumper.

The SXT has a different front end, and LED tail lights.

Apparently you also can't get AWD or the v6 with either AVP, or the SE.

Sounds like you are comparing the prices for the AVP with the SXT, but the features of the SE with the SXT. So it isn't a question of the SXT being too expensive, but of the SE being too cheap.

For 2012 the U.S. MSRPs for the AVP base is $18,995. The SE is 20,995. The SXT is $22,995

For 2013 the MSRPs are $19,495, $21,495 and $22,995 respectively

Dealers print the stickers locally and they can edit them. They could well have the prices/descriptions mixed up - or maybe they were using 2012 pricing on their tags and mixed THAT up.

Look at the vehicle you are comparing for the clues as to what model it REALLY is (there is no badge on the Journey to differentiate it as an AVP/CVP or SE).

It is simple enough; Deep tinted glass and LED tail lights make it at least an SE - and if it is, and if the sticker says $18,995 list then you ought to be able to score your SE for less than $18K with the current promotions that are in place - the U.S. SE upgrade is certainly not worth paying anything close to the factory's asking price.

Edit: Note for McGusto: The LED lights are included with the SE. And AWD is another major market differentiator. In Canada AWD is only provided on the R/T (along with suspension upgrades and a number of other features). The AWD feature cannot be deleted from the R/T nor can it be ordered on any of the 'lesser' trim levels up here.

Edited by bramfrank

@bramfrank

I just specifying that with the SXT you get LED tails AND the new "performance" front end and rear bumper.

Versus the SE just getting the LED tail lamps.

Just the different exteriors are really worth stepping up to the SXT. I can only imagine what the resale value will be like for the AVP or the SE with their 09 exterior in 5 years.

That, and when you look at your car, you're looking at something different and new. I would kick myself if had to look at the 09 journey when it's really a '13.

But that's all relative. I notice those things.

In 5 years you won't get anything for your Journey, no matter what trim level you buy since, aside from being an American vehicle that doesn't hold it's value (though we're all saving a bundle up front on the purchase price so that isn't a big deal) next year it'll be replaced with a new model with rounded everything designed in Italy.

As to the bumpers being different . . . . as you said you may care, but I certainly don't. And I wouldn't pay $2,000 for the difference between the CANADIAN SE and the SXT essentially to get a rear bumper with a reflector built into it and a set of fog lights that I'd never use.

Edited by bramfrank

Thanks again to all for the info. I consider myself pretty car savvy, but I learned something new. I never knew that the window stickers were printed locally and could be edited. I guess that explains why the base prices on the window stickers that i printed out for the different models were different than what it shows on Dodge.com. All that being said, I have my eye on a new 2012 Black SXT v6/6speed with the popular equipment group and the flexible seating group (for the three Grandbabys). I'll keep you posted!

Bruce