Stereo at full volume at start up...Bleeding ears

A few times over the last month we have gotten into the car and when we hit the start button the stereo comes on at full volume. (though it reads 11)

When we turn off the audio and turn it back on the volume is normal to us. (still reads 11 just not "spinal tap-ish") Is there an amplifier that we dont know about that can switch on and off whenever it decides too? If its something simple I'll fix it otherwise we're going to have to hit the dealership.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EbVKWCpNFhY

• 10 months later...

Where's the safety recall? I see from the reply there is a software update, how come I've not been notified!

I had been experiencing this problem too. It's always been startling when it happens. However, the other day I went to shopping center to pickup some Chinese food and it happened just as I was backing out of a parking space. It totally effected my senses and my foot came off the brake as I reacted in a panic to silence the radio. In doing so, I nearly ran over a person walking behind my car!!!! That incident caused me to investigate the problem and here I am now.

Thanks to this forum I know there is problem and having it brought in to be corrected. How do I get the message out to other owners so they too don't have a similar experience and perhaps have an accident where they actually do loose senses and run someone down.

It is not a safety recall !

The TSB (technical service bulletin) is an internal

notice circulated to the dealers to correct any customer

concerns when those customers complain of a particular problem.

Customers are not notified re TSBs.