Automatically turn off lights when car turns off?

I just got my new Journey and am still trying to figure everything out. Can I leave the head lights on all the time and have them turn off when i turn the engine off without having to manually turn them off. I see what appears to he the option in my 4.3s uconnect touch system but it doesnt appear to be working or I am using it incorrectly. Currently i have the headlight off delay set to 30 seconds however the lights don't turn off. I have to manually turn the headlight switch to off.

This isn't really a big issue if it is not designed like this. I have been able to do this on every car ive owned going back to the early 90's.

as long as you leave the headlights knob to "auto", they will turn on and off on their own. The SXT should have this feature standard. The timer you can set is a security feature for those people who want to have have the lights on so they can see where they are going after they leave the car (or to illuminate around the car to make sure no one is lurking), but again, the headlights need to be set to auto for it to shut off after the time set. If they are left on, then they will stay on until the battery protection timer kicks in (I believe it's about 10 minutes).

cheers, and congrats on the new DJ!

Steph S.

Edited by Psyke

• 2 months later...

The lights shut off after about 10 minutes on their own. Doesn't anywhere best kill your batteries. Leave them on.

That's all and good until the neighbors or others come knocking on your door and to say you left your headlights on. When I went from my accent (auto off) to my caliber (no auto off), I had a habit of keaping the headlights on and had the above scenario a number of times, both at home and in parking lots :D