Leaking Fluid

scott4751

Well at about 800 miles I started getting the stench smell, it was coming from the right front. It was also leaking fluid. I took it back and they changed a seal. The leak stopped but there still is a faint smell, which is lessening everyday. I used to work in a diesel shop and trust me gear oil smells to high heaven when burnt. The fluid was leaking on to the engine and caused the smell. until it completely burns off there will be an odor. Since having the seal replaced we took a 300 mile trip and it was flawless. I will try to get the part # and full part description off the paperwork and list it for all to view.

Well at about 800 miles I started getting the stench smell, it was coming from the right front. It was also leaking fluid. I took it back and they changed a seal. The leak stopped but there still is a faint smell, which is lessening everyday. I used to work in a diesel shop and trust me gear oil smells to high heaven when burnt. The fluid was leaking on to the engine and caused the smell. until it completely burns off there will be an odor. Since having the seal replaced we took a 300 mile trip and it was flawless. I will try to get the part # and full part description off the paperwork and list it for all to view.

WOW I think I just had this happening too me today would love to hear more details.....

Man a little upset here

It actually had some smoke coming out from underneath, the fluid burning off, and of course that is when the smell was the worst. Like I said the seal resolved everything and as soon as I get the info on the part, I will post it. I am still happy with the Journey!!

• 2 weeks later...
It actually had some smoke coming out from underneath, the fluid burning off, and of course that is when the smell was the worst. Like I said the seal resolved everything and as soon as I get the info on the part, I will post it. I am still happy with the Journey!!

Same thing happened to my SE, it was leaving a puddle everywhere it went, I took it to the dealer and they fixed in an hour. While they were doing the work I stepped outside for a smoke and I was able to see the Journey up on the hoist with the right driveshaft removed. I didn't get a chance to talk to the mechanic but I can assume that it was probably a diff seal. Seems like Dodge may have to find a new seal manufacturer. The original ones apparently stink.

• 3 weeks later...

At 5000 miles, I also had that problem the seal in the transfercase is faulty there replacing it as we speak. hope the new one dosen't repeat this problem.

what saved the transfercase is it leaked on the manifold and smoke was pouring from under the hood.

Hope this helps

Aris

• 1 year later...

Hello scott4751 and others having leaking problem,

I have noticed it too. After 1000 km (crd 2 L diesel) a smell of diesel oil coming in to interior and also some stink outside.

If this is fixed by changing a seal why not do it at the factory?

If anyone have similar problems, give us all a feedback once again since the latest issues were from 2008.

A Finn