DIY "ghetto" cargo cover

Lebowski

A little background: my car isn't exactly mine, it's a company car and I have to give it back when the 5 years lease expires, so, not only I cannot make any permanent modification, but I don't want to spend too much money on it (the last sentence would apply even if the car was mine ;) ).

Even with tinted windows, it's easy to see inside when you lower the third row of seats and use the space for luggage, so a cargo cover is a must.

I made this one some months ago, at the time there was no original part, now there is one available as a FIAT accessory, but it costs 130€ and it's not much better than my "ghetto" version.

Sometimes ago, I found in a dollar store "Ye Olde Jolly Rogers", and I thought it was the perfect size to make a cargo cover. Arrr!

1€ wouldn't break the bank so I bought it.

It's really lightweight, so it's easy to fix to the car without too much trouble.

For the side touching the second row of seats, I used some round adhesive velcro I had. It grips very well to the carpeting behind the seat, however I'll have to sew it to the flag since the adhesive will eventually detach.

dscn0793il.jpg

To fix it to the sides I used 4 paper-clips (two for each side)

dscn0857u.jpg

I "modified" them then I sewn a short length of elastic ribbon to the flag this way:

dscn0858d.jpg

The modified paper-clip goes in the small space between the window and the plastic panel

dscn0860v.jpg

dscn0864i.jpg

dscn0865ev.jpg

To fix the flag to the rear of the cargo area, I used a couple of metal pieces I found at the office. I suppose you can make a similar one from some scrap metal:

dscn0859p.jpg

These attach to the white plastic of the pillar, beneath the rubber molding

dscn0861ky.jpg

With the rubber molding in place

dscn0862n.jpg

And this is the final result

dscn0863p.jpg

It's ghetto but it's good enough considering that it cost me less than 3€.

Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?

• 2 weeks later...