Nav Traffic is wonky

The traffic feature that's built into the Nav is a little weird. There's no such thing as traffic where I live, so I haven't seen the feature function until I took a 300 mile road trip this past weekend. About an hour into the trip, the Nav showed a traffic delay of 47 minutes and audibly said "Severe Traffic Ahead - recalculating". I tapped the traffic icon to see what it was talking about. Sure enough, it said there was traffic on my route in Boston. Okay, but I was still 150 miles from Boston! There was traffic in Boston because it was rush hour, but I knew that the traffic would be clear by the time I got there in 2 and a half hours. Every 10 minutes, the Nav kept repeating "Severe Traffic Ahead - recalculating". It got annoying, so I turned off everything I could find that had anything to do with traffic. Even with everything turned off, it still kept alerting me to the traffic that was still very far away. As expected, the traffic completely cleared long before I got to Boston. It would seem that there's no way to turn off the traffic alerting. I'm guessing that's a bug since there is an option to turn it off.....it just doesn't actually seem to work. To be useful, it really needs to give you the ability to enter a distance at which you want to be warned if there's traffic. Warning you when there's ANY traffic ANYWHERE on your route isn't helpful. If I had traffic avoidance turned on, it may have taken me way out of my way to avoid it, only to find out it cleared up long before I would have gotten to it.

Has anyone else used the traffic feature? Are you seeing the same behavior?