Replaced door latch

erik09sxt

Just thought I would post about my experience replacing the front passenger side door latch in my 2009 SXT.

The door stopped locking or unlocking using the power locks a couple months ago. The last time I was at the dealer one of the techs told me it was the latch mechanism in the door. I was already out of warranty so I opted to fix it myself. Unfortunately they were on backorder so it was another 3 weeks before I got it (backordered was a clue to me that they have had to replace more of them than they expected).

Well with exceptionally warm temps yesterday I decided it was time to replace it. I was very surprised at how relatively easy it was. 2 screws and the usual automotive panel clips hold the interior panel on. Once that is off there is a hole on the inside panel with a hinged cover on it close to the latch where you can get your hand in and get the part in and out. There are 2 rods and a cable that attaches to it, the rods are from the outer door handle and the inside lock rod, the cable is from the inside door latch. There are 3 torx bolts that hold it in to the frame of the door. And with a little patience I now have working door locks on that door again, took about an hour total.

I had thought about having the dealer do it for me but that was going to be at least 100.00in labor. I'm glad I opted to do it myself, it was easier than I thought.