esp bas dodge journey

cpulouie

I've noticed that I can't turn it off while it's active ... but as soon as I let off the throttle and the light goes out, I can turn it off no problems. Had to do this today to get up the hill leaving my house, as the street still hadn't been plowed, and the outside of the turn had built up significant soft, slushy snow. It was bogging itself down until I turned off the traction control. I'm finding it more of a hazard than a help. Wonder if there's a way to reverse the default to off and only turn it on when wanted?

• Official Dodge Support

just out of no where my ESP/BAS tire slipply light is on

Louie,

Below is the full decription of functionality of the ESC and BAS systems.

<a name="ssubtopic-1">Electronic Stability Control (ESC)

This system enhances directional control and stability of the vehicle under various driving conditions. ESC corrects for over-steering and under-steering the vehicle by applying the brake of the appropriate wheel. Engine power may also be reduced to help the vehicle maintain the desired path.

The ESC uses sensors in the vehicle to determine the path that the driver intends to steer the vehicle and compares it to the actual path of the vehicle. When the actual path does not match the intended path, the ESC applies the brake of the appropriate wheel to assist in counteracting the condition of over-steer or under-steer.

• Over-steer - when the vehicle is turning more than appropriate for the steering wheel position.
  • Under-steer - when the vehicle is turning less than appropriate for the steering wheel position.

<br clear="all">

ESC Operating Modes

The ESC system has two available operating modes.

<br clear="all">Full On

This is the normal operating mode for ESC. Whenever the vehicle is started the system will be in this mode. This mode should be used for most driving situations. ESC should only be turned to “Partial Off” for specific reasons as noted. Refer to “Partial Off” for additional information.

<br clear="all">Partial Off

The “ESC OFF” button is located in the switch bank above the climate control. To enter the “Partial Off” mode, momentarily press the “ESC OFF” button and the “ESC Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light” will illuminate. To turn the ESC on again, momentarily press the “ESC OFF” button and the “ESC Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light” will turn off. This will restore the normal “ESC On” mode of operation.

<br clear="right"> 054810808.gif<br clear="all">

ESC OFF Button Note: To improve the vehicle's traction when driving with snow chains, or when starting off in deep snow, sand, or gravel, it may be desirable to switch to the “Partial Off” mode by momentarily pressing the “ESC OFF” button. Once the situation requiring “Partial Off” mode is overcome, turn ESC back on by momentarily pressing the “ESC OFF” button. This may be done while the vehicle is in motion.

<br clear="all">

ESC Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light And ESC OFF Indicator Light

<br clear="right">

The “ESC Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light” in the instrument cluster will come on when the ignition switch is turned to the ON position. It should go out with the engine running. If the “ESC Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light” comes on continuously with the engine running, a malfunction has been detected in the ESC system. If this light remains on after several ignition cycles, and the vehicle has been driven several miles (kilometers) at speeds greater than 30 mph (48 km/h), see your authorized dealer as soon as possible to have the problem diagnosed and corrected. <br clear="all"> The “ESC Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light” (located in the instrument cluster) starts to flash as soon as the tires lose traction and the ESC system becomes active. The “ESC Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light” also flashes when TCS is active. If the “ESC Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light” begins to flash during acceleration, ease up on the accelerator and apply as little throttle as possible. Be sure to adapt your speed and driving to the prevailing road conditions.

Note:

• The “ESC Activation/Malfunction Indicator Light” and the “ESC OFF Indicator Light” come on momentarily each time the ignition switch is turned ON.
  • Each time the ignition is turned ON, the ESC system will be ON even if it was turned off previously.
  • The ESC system will make buzzing or clicking sounds when it is active. This is normal; the sounds will stop when ESC becomes inactive following the maneuver that caused the ESC activation.

Brake Assist System (BAS)

The BAS is designed to optimize the vehicle’s braking capability during emergency braking maneuvers. The system detects an emergency braking situation by sensing the rate and amount of brake application and then applies optimum pressure to the brakes. This can help reduce braking distances. The BAS complements the ABS. Applying the brakes very quickly results in the best BAS assistance. To receive the benefit of the system, you must apply continuous braking pressure during the stopping sequence, (do not “pump” the brakes). Do not reduce brake pedal pressure unless braking is no longer desired. Once the brake pedal is released, the BAS is deactivated.

Warning! BAS cannot prevent the natural laws of physics from acting on the vehicle, nor can it increase the traction afforded by prevailing road conditions. BAS cannot prevent accidents, including those resulting from excessive speed in turns, driving on very slippery surfaces, or hydroplaning. The capabilities of a BAS-equipped vehicle must never be exploited in a reckless or dangerous manner, which could jeopardize the user's safety or the safety of others.