Did I get screwed? $30 For pinion factor reset?

zmttoxics

I bought DM-V1s (225/70/16) and put them on 16" rims like many others did for winter rims. I had them on my 2010 journey but I had the place I bought them from install them. When the car got wrecked, I had the dealership move them to my new 2011 and they said nothing about it, and nothing about it when I had the summers put back on.

Today, I just had it in to put the tires back on and do the fall maintenance package (oil and such) and some other things. I got a call saying they had to set the pinion factor because the tire size is 2 sizes too small. I argued that it wasn't and even double checked the tire size calculator but they argued back.

Anyone else have to pay this?

Edited by zmttoxics

The first question is . . . what did they reset the value to? Because now your speedometer and odometer is running either slow or fast. The digital readout should be within 1 kph of a GPS receiver, so you can do a quick check with any decent navigator.

However, note that the standard tires specified for the vehicle are:

225/70/16 = (225*.7)/25.4= 6.2 inches tire height - diameter is 16+(6.2*2)= 28.4 inches

225/65/17= (225*.65)/25.4= 5.75 inches tire height - diameter is (17+(5.75*2)= 28.5 inches

225/55/19= (225*.55)/25.4= 4.87 inches tire height - diameter is (19+(4.87*2)= 28.74 inches

The difference in diameter is insignificant - less than the tread wear depth differential between a new and worn tire, so there is no need whatsoever to calibrate anything when changing - and even then, it is YOUR choice as to whether you want your speedo to run at the right speed. They performed work you did not ask for and you should not have been asked to pay for it - and if the reason was that the value was wrong before, then the adjustment should have been covered under warranty.

So the answer is yes. You were screwed. I'd call and give them heck and demand a refund. If they give you trouble I'd file a complaint with Chrysler.

How about joining the buyer's group I'm trying to put together to buy factory-backed extended warranties?

I don't know what they set it to or what it was... The only thing I can think of is that it was off before for some reason.

The receipt says:

"SET PINION FACTOR TO ACCOMODATE WINTER TIRE

SIZE...

13 CM 0.50"

With the cost here...

I will have to hook up the tom-tom and see if its really off now or spot on...

Ok, so I called back and demanded they fix it and refund my $30. It is going back on the Saturday.

I'd still like to know just what size tires they believed you should have been installing on the vehicle and why they insisted on being such complete dick-wads.

So the reprogrammed my computer back to stock and refunded me the $30. The speedometer is about 1:1 with the gps up to about 100kph, then its around 2 to 3 off as I hit 115 through 120 which over all is much better (it was off at low speeds after the calibration too).

Unfortunately, they didn't want to talk to me about it. Wouldn't say what their calculated percent was or nothing. They said the technician must have just put in the wrong number. Lame.