2011 Journey Blows ... Blue Smoke

2011 Journey Purchased from Sherwood Park Dodge - Feb 2011 - took in for an engine light problem at 5600 with lack of acceleration response and an early oil change. Apparently the oil was very low .. no other comment on it from service .. I watched car more closely and went back in and told them of it blowing blue smoke upon start up when sitting for more than an hour or over night ... dealership has now had vehicle for 14 days (it has about 8800km now) and they've replaced the PVC value which made it worst ... they've have had contact with their tech support and USA .. no other Journey 2011 has experience this issue in North America ... they've now are in the process of replacing a cam shalf assembly ? apparently, last i"ve heard today is that they are waiting for some 'tools' to put it all back together.

I have been in contact via face to face with shop foreman and dealership manager as well as through email. They are well aware of my dismay, lack of confidence in their ability to service as well as my fustration. I am concerned with a new enigne, and new model of engine, having a serious engine issue so early on along with with seems to be a lack of knowledge by the dealership on servicing as a whole. From a statement of 'very low oil' made on the service report in which should have been a flag at that time to see as to why it was low .. to this lastest statement of 'not having the tools' to fix an engine .. yet they were able to take engine apart ... unreal !!!

I have expressed to the manager my total lack of confidence in the vehicle as well as service and asked for a NEW replacement or FULL Refund ... I am at a loss to how to proceed ... the manager is saying ..we will fix it ... etc .. how come I can by an expensive item from a retailer and returning it for a full refund with in a year sometimes but droping $35,000 on a new car which has serious issues that I am stuck with it ...

Sorry to vent ... I am keeping all my notes on this issue for follow up for some other higher path to resolution ... Anyone else out there experience something the same or similar .. I'm looking for guidance as my patience is gone !

Right now the car is still in the shop ...

thanks in advance !

Mel Zilkowsky

Higher than normal oil consumption... blue smoke in the exhaust... sorry to say man, but every vehicle I've ever seen do that (and usually they're old by then) was burning oil in the combustion chambers. In my experience, it usually meant the piston rings were shot and the engine's days were numbered. I have no idea if that's what's going on here, but it sounds like yours is definitely burning oil. Sounds like when it's been sitting oil is somehow able to seep into the actual combustion path, so when you start the engine it's burning off through the exhaust. Either way, that's a serious problem.

Keep notes and records. If the dealer doesn't resolve things, call Chrysler directly.

Edited by Powdered Toast Man

Higher than normal oil consumption... blue smoke in the exhaust... sorry to say man, but every vehicle I've ever seen do that (and usually they're old by then) was burning oil in the combustion chambers. In my experience, it usually meant the piston rings were shot and the engine's days were numbered. I have no idea if that's what's going on here, but it sounds like yours is definitely burning oil. Sounds like when it's been sitting oil is somehow able to seep into the actual combustion path, so when you start the engine it's burning off through the exhaust. Either way, that's a serious problem.

Keep notes and records. If the dealer doesn't resolve things, call Chrysler directly.

If you've been burning substantial amounts of oil, you'd have a film of oil on the tailgate etc, or car would be grimy/dusty as dust settles on the oil film. I'd be wondering if there was an oil pressure problem which led to oil starvation at the rings which caused a premature ring failure (and thus the burning of oil).

If you've been burning substantial amounts of oil, you'd have a film of oil on the tailgate etc, or car would be grimy/dusty as dust settles on the oil film. I'd be wondering if there was an oil pressure problem which led to oil starvation at the rings which caused a premature ring failure (and thus the burning of oil).

It's not always substantial (at least to start). I used to have an Eagle Talon and I had no idea it was in trouble until one day a friend was driving behind me and told me that my exhaust was blowing blue under acceleration.

Overhead cam engines have more oil in the top end than just a overhead valve engine does.Having said that valve stem seals are very important.

This seals are pressed fit on the valve guide, if one or more are damaged or have popped off the guide, this can cause blue smoke at startup or idling,decelerating.

In other words when the engine is producing high vacuum. Just a thought.

thanks for the comments ... right now last I heard is that they are replacing a cam assembly .. it was to be completed wednesday .. and ready on Thurs morning (yesterday) I get a call from the shop foreman that things are delayed because they dont have the tools required to replace the part as it is a new engine .... I am Serious !!! That is what he said .... ok .. I nearly blew a gasket !!!

I sent another letter off to the manager to question him as to why he is operating a dealership with a service not equipped to service what they sell ... his response is that it was an unusal circumstance ... again ..not buying it

I guess my main concern now is whether it actually gets completed today and whether I should pick it up if it is. I have no confidence in the new vehicle with such a major problem from off the lot ... and no confidence in the service ability at this point ....

.. just not sure what my options are ... I really dont want the vehicle back at this point and need to see if I can contact Chrysler Canada Directly I guess or a 'zone rep' to file a complaint as suggested via a PM ...

thanks ..

MEL

Blue smoke = burning huge amounts of oil

What sucks with Dodge is that they don't provide loaners unless you purchase their extended warranty. So if they choose to hold the vehicle practically for weeks or months. We're SOL.

Keep us informed. Chrysler/Dodge needs to know we are also talking about it in the open.

Another update .... dealership finally were able to replace the Cam Shaft assembly and once they had their tools they put it all back together ... I waited from last thurs til this Monday for an update ... I did not get an update ..from the dealership .. I called Chrysler Canada on Monday and spoke my concerns about all the issues involved. They were able to tell me the parts were replaced on last friday and tested but the issue remained of blowing blue smoke. Interesting thing speaking with the rep was that she said to go back and speak again with general manager and read your owners manual ... interesting as I questioned her on that point .. she said ' all I can tell you is to READ your Owners Manual "

ok .. in the owners manual .. as in all manuals .. at the back there is a statement indicating that if you believe your car has a serious Safety Defect to call Transport Canada (canadian customers obviously) ... interesting ... I will not have to take this route at this point though

I did speak on Monday with the General Manager and I have choice of FULL REFUND to the penny or FULL TRADE IN VALUE towards any other another vehicle on the lot ... I am looking over my options right now .. told the manager that I will consider giving them another chance ... right now they are starting to bend over backwards for me .... they are aware they I have been in contact with Chrysler Canada as well //

/.. as to the fate of the Journey .. looks like they will be ordering and replacing the engine (with sending the old one back for further inspection) .. put it all back together and putting it back on their lot in the USED Car area.

thanks again for all the comments

cheers

I did speak on Monday with the General Manager and I have choice of FULL REFUND to the penny or FULL TRADE IN VALUE towards any other another vehicle on the lot ... I am looking over my options right now .. told the manager that I will consider giving them another chance ... right now they are starting to bend over backwards for me .... they are aware they I have been in contact with Chrysler Canada as well //

/.. as to the fate of the Journey .. looks like they will be ordering and replacing the engine (with sending the old one back for further inspection) .. put it all back together and putting it back on their lot in the USED Car area.

thanks again for all the comments

cheers

Wow man, that's fantastic! Sounds like you just got one of the few lemons out there. It happens with every make and model. At least either way you do not have to deal with that particular vehicle again. Congats on obtaining a satisfactory resolution for your problem.

• 4 months later...

Hi there, i am having the same problems as you had with your journey, and would like your help. My problems however started from day one, i brought the journey home and my husband noticed that the engine was making a loud ticking sound, also i l realized that i did not have wheel locks or nitrogen in my tires, which i paid for. So i called the service desk and told them of this as well as the sound. They had my vehicle for 2 weeks after this, they replaced the valves in the camshaft as one had some sort of gouge out of the metal (from manufacture). After they told me this i told them i wanted a full line inspection done on my vehicle, they then found a crack in the left CV boot. I was very upset and wanted to know what my options were at this point, i was told all i could do was trade it in, as everything is covered under warrenty. After everything was appently fixed i went to pick up my journey and noticed that it was still making the ticking sound. They told me it was supposed to make that sound, i went home and told my husband, he took it for a ride and noted that the wheel was shuddering, the tires needed to be balanced, he phoned them and told them this. I brought it in the next day and again mentioned the sound the engine was making. I told them i wanted to hear another journey so i could see that it was in fact supposed to make this ticking sound. They started another one up, and they did not sound the same at all. The mechanic finally admitted that it did not sound the same. At this point they hooked it up to some diagnostics with crystler, they told me to take it home as the vehicle was drivable. I did not hear from them for 2 weeks, so i called the service manager and left a message about the situation, no return phone call from him at all. the next day the mechanic i have been dealing with called me back and told me to bring it in on monday. I brought it in and on wednesday got a call stating they did not know what was wrong at this point, then a call on friday stating that they were going to replace the head on the enging because they were not sure what valve was causing the problem!! They were not even sure what is wrong but they are replacing the head, after i was told this i called the manager of the dealership who was of no help to me, i am very frustrated and do not want to keep the vehicle. I am going in on October 31, to show them all of your posts so they can see what was done for you.

I would like to know, if you can, who you talked to at crystler, as well as what province you are from. Also my journey as of yet, has not blown off blue smoke, but i am sure it will. Please help me if you can.

Thank-you, Candace

There was a notice on ALLPAR about approx 760 Pentastar engines being recalled

by Chrysler/Dodge as they were known to be defective,so you may want to check it out.

Dealers in general are usually aware of recalls but you can't trust these things to them

be proactive call Chrysler,be the sqeaky wheel and if you find someting in print take it

to the dealer and confront them visually in a calm assertive manner.

I would not settle for being stuck with a new vehicle that does not make happy!

Customer Assistance Center Canada 800-465-2001

Edited by bigtsr