2011 3.6 engine oil type?

Just wandering if the engine oil is fully synthetic or semi ? Cuz in the service manual the first service is due around 13000 or 16000km? if it can hold that long, it gonna be synthetic, right?

also, can we bring our own oil to the dealership?

Not sure, but I'd definitely NOT wait to that mileage to change oil, especially the first oil change which is critical.

I bought a brand new '10 Grand Caravan and waited to 5k to change oil. I would not let a car go past that, given the break-in wear metal that will have gone through the engine until being trapped in the filter. On the other hand, you don't want to change the factory fill too early either, as it contains special additives and supplements to break the motor in properly.

5k is a good compromise, IMO.

Edited by Geer

Not sure, but I'd definitely NOT wait to that mileage to change oil, especially the first oil change which is critical.

I bought a brand new '10 Grand Caravan and waited to 5k to change oil. I would not let a car go past that, given the break-in wear metal that will have gone through the engine until being trapped in the filter. On the other hand, you don't want to change the factory fill too early either, as it contains special additives and supplements to break the motor in properly.

5k is a good compromise, IMO.

I think I'll go back to the dealership at 5k. Thanks for the advice.

I tend to doubt it as I'm sure the dealership wants to sell "their" oil. Fortunately for me anyways, I haven't paid for an oil change since 1991, that was the year I bought my first dodge from my current dealer. He is a small town deatership (45 miles away) and he tends to know everybody by their first name. One of his promises is to give you free oil changes for the life of the vehicle. I get one at every 3 months or 5000kms. I normally take the 3 months due to the little amount that I usually drive. To me it is worth the 45 mile drive as they keep an eye on my car.

I am currently on my 6th vehicle from this dealer and he hasn't let me down in 20 years. He is wonderful, I guess that is one of the reasons I continue deal with him. He is very good with warranty work, I get my vehicle in promptly and effciently, it is done right the first time. In fact I spent some time with him last Friday. Obviously this is my opinion only, YMMV. :D

Terry

Just wandering if the engine oil is fully synthetic or semi ? Cuz in the service manual the first service is due around 13000 or 16000km? if it can hold that long, it gonna be synthetic, right?

yes you can bring your own oil just bring the right oil if your car calls for 5/30 bring 5/30 if you whant to put a syn oil you can just get a 5/30 syn petrocanada makes a great oil they stand by it with there no nonsence warranty thats all i will use

yes you can bring your own oil just bring the right oil if your car calls for 5/30 bring 5/30 if you whant to put a syn oil you can just get a 5/30 syn petrocanada makes a great oil they stand by it with there no nonsence warranty thats all i will use

Thanks, good news for me. Gonna bring in my Motul 5/30

• 1 month later...