Engine Trouble

angie123

Hello--

I have a 2010 Dodge Journey. I want to love this car, I do, but I have had the front brakes replaced twice, the back brakes have had work, and I have the issue where my car turns off at random, (there is a recall pending for that one).

Yesterday morning I was on my way to work, got on the freeway and got up to 60/65 when the wheel started to go nuts, the car was shaking, almost feeling like it was skipping, and then no matter how hard I pressed the peddle the car wouldn't go any faster. I guess you call that riding rough. My malfunction light started blinking, then went off. I pulled on the side of the freeway, turned the car off, then back on and drove to the dealership.

The dealer says they can't find anything wrong, that the computer didn't register the code and that they couldn't recreate my problem. They put a combustion cleaner in, which I read as, "we did it just to say we did something". I pick up the car, hop on the freeway and the problem started again.

Drove right back to the dealership where my car currently sits, haven't heard from the dealer today.

Heard from a friend that they are having similar issues, and something about replacing the engine head and that Dodge Engineers are working on fixing this problem.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for reading!

Wow, can't say I've heard of that one being a "common" problem...but I've got to imagine the computer registered something.

Usually (on MOST cars anyway), when the check engine light blinks (as opposed to stay solid)....it usually means the car is now in "limp" mode, where the computer limits the engine RPM, etc for whatever reason. It specifically does this to prevent damage from what ever caused limp mode in the first place.

Now I have heard of cars coming out of limp mode (on their own), but everytime there's been some sort of trouble code registered with it.

I'm glad it's at the dealer, and I sure hope they come up with something! Keep us informed.

A friend is currently experiencing the same issue with a 3.5 in a '10 in Canada. Dealer has removed and cleaned his heads in the past, and is now about to replace them. With his, it starts at about 80 klms/50 mph. He is certain this is a symptom caused by the problem, and new heads will not correct the fault. Dealer is simply throwing parts at it. Becomming a serious safety issue and he is fed up. I'll keep you posted if a proper fix is found, please let me know if you get a satisfactory result.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your input!

I ended up getting the car back, and sure enough the next morning same issues. I kept driving with the malfuntion light blinking and this time it registered with the computer. They replaced one of the engine heads.

The car still runs very rough...and I with the luck I have had with this car I expect another engine head to blow any day now.