Key Fob Battery

ddibb

The battery in my key fob seems to be weak/dead. Can this battery be changed by the owner or does the dealer have to do it? I took the back off the fob to expose the battery but it doesn't seem to come out easily .I dont want to force it.

You don't say which year Journey you have but the instructions on changing the battery for the key fob are in the manual.

For the 2011 Journey, the instructions are on page 23.

For the 2010 Journey, the instructions are on page 24.

For the 2009 Journey, the instructions are on page 25.

This is definitely a user replaceable part. No trip to the dealer should be required.

Well, the other side to that is it is covered under warranty for up to at least 20k. I had my first key (the old style fob, 2010) done at the dealer specifically because it died way too early. But it was all covered and free. If you do it your self, you have to fork out 3 bucks for the CR2032 (found at any local computer store btw, computers use this battery for CMOS) and there is a chance you might scratch the board and have to get it replaced at the dealer anyways.

I took my 2011 key apart for fun, wasn't hard. But for sure, if you have the warranty still, you should make use of it. You already paid for that new battery you need.

Edited by zmttoxics