Pecking Order for US '11 R/T is puzzling

Geer

Another post got me thinking about what Dodge has done to the Journey R/T in the US market for 2011. In Canada, it's the top trim level/price class. This is consistent with the 40+ year heritage of the R/T which has always been the top trim & performance level for any model wearing the R/T moniker.

R/T was introduced in 1966 on the Coronet, and up until the end of the real muscle era in '71, R/T always meant premium trim and more importantly, top drivetrain and suspension performance. R/T disappeared for years but resurfaced in the 90's. But until recently, the performance aspect was sidelined and they marketed braking, suspension, appearance and interior upgrades for the R/T line. Only until they reintroduced the Hemi did they put R/T back in the true performance bracket (and subsequently, SRT).

So even the US 2010 Journey R/T was at the top of its echelon, but the 2011 model has it three trims (and thus equipment) below, behind Crew and Lux. I don't understand this, but I think it's a bit of a slap in the face to R/T heritage, especially when they've maintained status quo with the other current models (Charger, Challenger).

Edited by Geer

• 4 weeks later...

Another post got me thinking about what Dodge has done to the Journey R/T in the US market for 2011. In Canada, it's the top trim level/price class. This is consistent with the 40+ year heritage of the R/T which has always been the top trim & performance level for any model wearing the R/T moniker.

R/T was introduced in 1966 on the Coronet, and up until the end of the real muscle era in '71, R/T always meant premium trim and more importantly, top drivetrain and suspension performance. R/T disappeared for years but resurfaced in the 90's. But until recently, the performance aspect was sidelined and they marketed braking, suspension, appearance and interior upgrades for the R/T line. Only until they reintroduced the Hemi did they put R/T back in the true performance bracket (and subsequently, SRT).

So even the US 2010 Journey R/T was at the top of its echelon, but the 2011 model has it three trims (and thus equipment) below, behind Crew and Lux. I don't understand this, but I think it's a bit of a slap in the face to R/T heritage, especially when they've maintained status quo with the other current models (Charger, Challenger).

I think in the US the R/T models --Caliber and Journey did not sell well with upscale buyers--we had an 09 Caliber Sport? could not find any mention of this model in any Dodge documentation---after investigation it turned out it had sway bars and HD shocks and firmer springs---probably the R/T suspension. Never saw one in the US

Our 2011 Journey R/T AWD is firm to the road and handles the rought stuff o.k.---we do not have any snow to worry about---a traffic stopper is 2" out here in BC but comming from the prairies it is nothing.

Under the hood cannnot even see the spark plugs and am looking for trans fill----no luck- I run synthetic in all my vehicles, Chev, Harley, Crossfire and hopefully the Journey.

Technical information is in very short supply-------I do not use the dealer for basic maintenance--to pricey, bought extended warranty---but I may prove to be a waste of money--based on our history with Dodge------2000 Dalota R/T's. had 2---kept one until last week with 300,000K orig motor and trans

NOTE to Moderator----this Forum needs to be devided into 2010 and earlier and 2011 and up--the problems of earlier models are of no concern to me and do not relate to the updated 2011 and 12

NOTE to Moderator----this Forum needs to be devided into 2010 and earlier and 2011 and up--the problems of earlier models are of no concern to me and do not relate to the updated 2011 and 12

I mean no disrespect to you whatsoever but Why??? Are you some sort of Elitist?

Last time I checked I put up with all your concerns about your 2011 models. The inability to get certain colours, new fascias controversy, the inability to get 8.4 Uconnect to work properly, all the complaining about bluetooth and VC commands and the big one "tracking" to mention only a few. I certainly don't have those problems and I have yet to complain about any of this. There is no division of the Journey based on production year.

We all have Dodge Journeys, and it doesn't matter what year. I certainly don't feel superior to a 2009 Journey owner just as I don't feel inferior to you or any other 2011 owner. There have been improvements as the years went on I'll admit that , it is only natural to improve on a good thing.

IMO, There is no reason to divide this forum.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

• 2 weeks later...

In no way do I regard myself as ELITIST, but I do think I am practical

I have a Chev Truck 07 New Body Style, belong to 2 major truck Forums these models are seperated from the Old Body Style

Caliber Forum seperated the SRT from the std injection models

Crossfire Forum seperates the SRT from the std units

Dodge Dakota R/T had a seperate section in the original Dakota Forum

My "interest" in seperated sections for the older models and the 2011 was because the 2011 is a completely different beast than the previous models and any problems and concerns about them has little or nothing to do with the 2011 unit, as Dodge is going to change the Journey for 2013 this will make 2011/12 concernd redundant

This Forum is not mine to direct , but I was hoping it was open to user suggestions

Terry

• 2 months later...

I in some way agree with this. NOTHING against anyone who owns another year or model of the Journey or any other Dodge vehicle, but I bought the R/T because I have always loved what it stood for. I looked at purchasing the Crew model because it was basically the same as the R/T except for the R/T has the red accents and stitching in the seats. What does disappoint me is that the Crew and R/T are basically the exact same package even down to the rims!! I really wish the Crew had different rims from the R/T. IMO the R/T should stand out a little more from the other models aside from just having an R/T badge slapped on them which anyone can add. However I will say that I have owned my Journey since May and I am still absolutely LOVING it!!! I am so ready to have it paid off so I can by a R/T Challenger!! LOL