after-market Curt hitch

nixc72

We just put on an after-market Curt hitch our 2010 Journey SXT. The ball mount that we got is just the 3/4" rise. We are looking to get a popup camper and the ball seems awfully low. Is anyone towing a popup out there and how much rise is on your ball mount? Just don't want to be surprised when I pull up to get a trailer somewhere. Thanks a lot.

Edited by nixc72

We just put on an after-market Curt hitch our 2010 Journey SXT. The ball mount that we got is just the 3/4" rise.

You got me thinking about this, so I went out to the garage and measured my OEM hitch. It is 18" to the top of the ball. What do you mean by the rise? Sorry I'm not familiar with that term. On my ball there is a 1/2" lip above the receiver and then there is about 1" from that lip until where the ball starts. If I'm not real clear what I am measuring I should be able to post a photo.

Terry

with the after market hitch being so low, I'm thinking its probably comparable to what you were using on your minivan. I'm thinking of going with a this - as seen on etrailer - which should give me another couple inches.

Product Summary:

Ball Mounts

Fixed Ball Mount

Standard Ball Mount

Standard

Steel

Product Specs:

2-3/4 Inch Rise

4 Inch Drop

Fits 2 Inch Hitch

Class III

6000 lbs GTW

Hollow Shank

Draw-Tite

2753_tn.jpg

flipped upside down - I'm thinking that should do the trick. If you think differently or know from experience please let me know. Funds are tight!

Edited by nixc72

with the after market hitch being so low, I'm thinking its probably comparable to what you were using on your minivan.

This is the vertical receiver hitch that was (supposedly) OEM that was installed on my Journey. Going by earlier illustrations, I have about a 3 1/2" rise. Is this correct? The bottom of the receiver is the same height as the underside of my rear bumper. As you can see I can't turn mine over .

Terry

Edited by Windancer