DVD PICTURE TOO DARK ON DASH DISPLAY!!!

Ok, so I just picked up my Journey yesterday. Mine's got the Nav system, so when I load a DVD, my kids can watch in back, and I can watch on the Nav screen as long as the car is in park. Problem is, the movie picture coming from the Nav screen on my dashboard is WAY TOO DARK. And it's ONLY like that if I click on the menu button to "SHOW VIDEO". If am watching the dark video and hit the "SETUP" button, the picture increases brightness for a split second (to a perfect brightness for watching the movie) and the SETUP menu shows up all bright and brilliant. As soon as I exit the setup menu and go back to "SHOW VIDEO" the display gets all dark again. To the point where it's too dark to see the movie almost.

Number one, is this normal? And number 2, is there any way to adjust the video brightness on the DASH display screen. I don't get why it does that. Can someone help?

Thanks,

Xphyle

Only a guess, but were your headlights on at the time? I'm wondering if the display dims for nighttime use, i.e. headlights on. If so, it might be adjustable with the dash lights.

That's what I thought too, but not the case. I tried all the headlight settings. No luck. As soon as I hit the show video button, the display just drops to about 25% brightness. Kicker is, if I hit the setup button, the brightness kicks back up to normal (watchable) levels for a second before the menu shows up and the video looks GREAT...for about 1/5 of a second. It's really pissin me off.

Xphyle

Hey Rick,

I went through all the menus a half dozen times today and couldn't find squat, then like on the 7th time through the menu, hours later, I noticed that the adjustment was one notch off of the bottom of the screen. For example if the screen can hold 6 options from top to bottom, the DVD setup button was the 7th one, and was actually there but off of the bottom of the screen and I didn't realize I had to scroll down past what I thought was the bottom one and found a menu called "DVD SETUP". Soon as I clicked it, BOOM, there it was: DVD BRIGHTNESS. It was set at about 25% and I jacked it up and now it's FANTASTIC. Lovin the Journey so far.

Xphyle

Way to go, did you download the MyGig manual, or was there a paper one supplied with it?

I have the PDF files for both the owners manual and MyGig...................Seeing as I don't have mine yet..... :banghead:

Rick.

Hey Rick,

I have the manual, but I found this site yesterday while researching for the answer to my problem. They host firmware/software updates for ALL the myGIG systems out there and the site seems really great. There's a spot for the Journey MyGIG system software, but there's nothing there yet. But you can also get updates for the GRACENOTES database there. Awesome. Here's the link. Maybe a mod could sticky this info:

http://mofv.com/mygig/

Xphyle