I want to buy a Journey but.......

begin_journey

I'll be honest. I have never been a fan of anything Dodge. From their decades of Transmission issues across multiple vehicles, to the perception that their quality control is less than average.

Now I am enamored with the Journey. I currently drive a 10 year old Mazda mini-van. My wife thinks that the Grand Caravan is too big, so I started looking at the Journey. The size of the vehicle, options, ect make it quite attractive for the price.

My concern is this, although all vehicles can have problems, are some of the problems listed on this forum occuring to the majority of Journey's or the minority. Engine tick's, transmission, electrical, alarm sounding without reason, etc.

My wife will be diving my children around in this, so I really don't want to end up with an unreliable vehicle.

Thoughts, opinions???

I'll be honest. I have never been a fan of anything Dodge. From their decades of Transmission issues across multiple vehicles, to the perception that their quality control is less than average.

Now I am enamored with the Journey. I currently drive a 10 year old Mazda mini-van. My wife thinks that the Grand Caravan is too big, so I started looking at the Journey. The size of the vehicle, options, ect make it quite attractive for the price.

My concern is this, although all vehicles can have problems, are some of the problems listed on this forum occuring to the majority of Journey's or the minority. Engine tick's, transmission, electrical, alarm sounding without reason, etc.

My wife will be diving my children around in this, so I really don't want to end up with an unreliable vehicle.

Thoughts, opinions???

I just traded my '01 MPV in for a 2011 Journey Crew for the same reason; the caravan is too big. I was also reluctant with dodge, and even though it has only been a week, I have to say that so far I am impressed with the quality of the 2011. It doesn't even feel like it is a Dodge. The ride is smooth and quiet. No unusual noises from the engine. Smooth shifting. But realistically only time will tell.

I am coming up on one year with my Journey and have had only one issue. My battery had a bad cell and would not start (with the Journey plugged in) at -30C. Chyrsler had it towed 2.5 hours to the nearest dealer to be fixed. My brakes are still good, and of course there are going to be random sounds of protest coming from under the hood when asking it to start up in sub -40C temperatures but nothing that I am overly concerned with. My wife's Journey has been even better with no issues other than driving over a nail and having to replace a tire. Luckily our dealer was able to get us a deal on those rare 19" Kuhmos. The tire shop had one left and we got it for slightly over their cost.

Thoughts, opinions???

actually Journey is way above any Mazda SUV, it drives so smooth that you won't believe, get the good stuff and compare prices, thousands of dollars less for a proven vehicle.

Concerned about the brakes? They have just upgraded the warranty to 2 years/40K.

The Journey is by far the best deal in its class.

Thanks for all of the comments and please keep them coming.

I am thinking about the SXT model, with 7 seats, the Blue-tooth add-on and not much more.

I don't want to go to a higher model due to the 19" tires.

I test drove a Mazda 5 yesterday. Not really able to compare the two. The Mazda is essentially a small car wit two additional seats for small children only.

I expect that the Journey is one of the best selling in Canada due to the fact that anything else in the same category will cost you thousands more.

Thanks again everyone!

Thanks for all of the comments and please keep them coming.

I am thinking about the SXT model, with 7 seats, the Blue-tooth add-on and not much more.

I don't want to go to a higher model due to the 19" tires.

I test drove a Mazda 5 yesterday. Not really able to compare the two. The Mazda is essentially a small car wit two additional seats for small children only.

I expect that the Journey is one of the best selling in Canada due to the fact that anything else in the same category will cost you thousands more.

Thanks again everyone!

I traded in a 2007 Chrysler Pacifica for a 2010 Journey last July. I have been please with the vehicle and no issues so far. I went with the SXT model because I did not want the 19 inch tires and had the dealer add the leather and front heated seats. I have the bluetooth and back up camera and it is a great vehicle so far.

I traded in a 2007 Chrysler Pacifica for a 2010 Journey last July. I have been please with the vehicle and no issues so far. I went with the SXT model because I did not want the 19 inch tires and had the dealer add the leather and front heated seats. I have the bluetooth and back up camera and it is a great vehicle so far.

In my mind, the Journey was the replacement for the Pacifica. That said, what made you decide to trade in your Pacifica after 3 years?

I'm planning on driving my next vehicle for at elast 10 years, and thus I want to make sure that I am not going to be developing an intimate relationship with my mechanic!! :-)

Thanks again,