Snow getting in Air filter housing

Spotty

I am having problems with snow getting into the Air filter Housing and building up ice and freezing the air filter. This always happens when I drive it in snow conditions. It also causes sluggish behaviour and accelarating problems. I am wondering if anyone else is having problems because I can't seem to get anywhere, Dodge says I am the only one having this problem. My dealership has checked the car over to see if some molding is missing or something is broken which might let the snow get in but they say nothing is missing or broken. I am very frustrated because I am certain this cannot be good for the engine. I thought I would post this because I cannot believe I am the only one???

I am having problems with snow getting into the Air filter Housing and building up ice and freezing the air filter.

Spotty

I don't have this problem, and I am not doubting you. Where do you live? Is it a wet snow or more what I am used to, a drier fluffier snow? I live on the Canadian Prairies and we have had record amounts of snow here.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

Spotty

I don't have this problem, and I am not doubting you. Where do you live? Is it a wet snow or more what I am used to, a drier fluffier snow? I live on the Canadian Prairies and we have had record amounts of snow here.

Terry

I LIVE IN BUFFALO NY...WE HAVE 2009 JOURNEY WITH 36,000 MILES ON IT AND HAVE NEVER HAD THIS HAPPEN TO US.......SORRY

i know it propably won't help you with your problem, but....

GM had a similar problem with the duramax diesels. My uncle had one that would go to "limp home" mode everytime there was swirling snow on the road.

GM had a changeup that fixed it. They sent him an air cleaner lid with holes in it!!!!!!

This caused the engine to draw it's air from inside the engine compartment instead of from the outside.

He has to change his lid in spring.

• 2 weeks later...

The engineering department has just come up with some rubberized strips that will help with this and I just had some special ordered and put on my car. It looks like these strips will stop most of the snow getting in and I will be watching to ensure my filter stays dry on the next snow or heavy rain day. I suggest to all 2009/2010 journey owners to monitor this on their vehicles because this problem is a design problem and not just a problem with mine. I was complaining about my fuel economy for months and it took an extreme storm for me to figure out this problem which is/was the cause of the fuel economy. Next storm you drive in I suggest you lift the hood and check your air filter. Happened in light and fluffy snow as well as the heavier wetter snow.

• 3 weeks later...

The engineering department has just come up with some rubberized strips that will help with this and I just had some special ordered and put on my car. It looks like these strips will stop most of the snow getting in and I will be watching to ensure my filter stays dry on the next snow or heavy rain day. I suggest to all 2009/2010 journey owners to monitor this on their vehicles because this problem is a design problem and not just a problem with mine. I was complaining about my fuel economy for months and it took an extreme storm for me to figure out this problem which is/was the cause of the fuel economy. Next storm you drive in I suggest you lift the hood and check your air filter. Happened in light and fluffy snow as well as the heavier wetter snow.

My 2011 Journey SXT CREW has the rubber strip already added just in front of the air inlet. I was wondering why it was there, as I felt it would interfear with cold air getting into the engine. But now I understand why they have done that. What I can't figure out, is why for years now, we have had air intakes in the front of our vehicles and all of a sudden, we are now getting snow in them. Maybe Dodge should place the inlet beneath the bumper rather then up high and that would perhaps stop the snow from working it's way up into the filter. Back in the 60's and 70's, some hi performance cars had the intakes placed below the bumpers. Kind of a ram air effect. But cars had shaker hoods also back then & I don't ever remember people having problems with snow getting in. But of course, we didn't have FORUMS then either.