Autostick

devildog0431

So, I read the manual and the section about the use of Autostick is quite slim. I never had a vehicle with this or similar feature. Can anyone explain to me how to used Autostick? Does it offer more control like a manual transmission would? Does using autostick increases the performance, MPG, etc?

you use it similar to a manual transmission in the sense that you shift gears as RPMs dictate or torque needed. I find its nice when on the highway and you need immediate power and can see it being useful for winter driving up here in the snowy north.

I suppose technically it could improve milage but that would take some getting used to in terms of finding the sweet spot.

Would also be useful if you were towing something as you can keep to lower gears when necessary.

I know in the manual, if you have selected a lower gear and the engines revs too much, it will go into the next gear automatically but still be in the autostick mode.

Yes the auto stick will be great for towing as well but I wouldn't be towing too much with it. If you are towing, buy a tow vehicle rather than prematre wear on the tranny.

Also slowing down with a trailer, the auto stick can save the brakes on the Journey, less heat warped rotors etc. Even desending down a long hill, rather than keeping your foot on the brake to keep the car at a slower speed (which shouldn't be done anyhow but it does) chose a lower gear and let the engine brake work keeping the car at a safer speed and keeping your brakes from heat and warped rotors

Well my take on it anyhoo!!! :hysterical:

Rob

In the owners manual it recommends using autostick for trailering.

I do not believe you will get better MPG as the computer should select the proper gear based on RPM and torque.

The cool thing about the auto stick is you can technically start off with the autostick engaged, and just press the throttle to the mat, and it will automatically shift at "yellow line". Of course we wouldn't do this until the proper break in time, or if it were a rental.......

Rick.

We have Autostick on our Stratus R/T. It is fun to drive with occasionally, but it is great in the winter in icy conditions. If you put it into second you start out in second just as you would with a manual transmission. By starting in a higher gear you don't spin the tires as easily from a dead stop. This past winter I finally got my wife to start using it.

So, I read the manual and the section about the use of Autostick is quite slim. I never had a vehicle with this or similar feature. Can anyone explain to me how to used Autostick? Does it offer more control like a manual transmission would? Does using autostick increases the performance, MPG, etc?

In addition to trailering and low traction conditions, I've found it to handy when setting up for a pass. You can put the transmission into a lower gear immediately before you make the pass instead of "surprising it" when you trounce on the accelerator.

It's a nice feature, but still not as fun to drive when compared to a true manual transmission.

• 2 weeks later...
I have AutoStik on the new van I am picking up on Friday. I do not understand the -/+ of the shift. Does the - drop you down a gear and the + take you up a gear? Can someone give me a clue please?

If you've shifted a motorcycle (or a formula one race car), you already have the basics on how it works.

Your instrument cluster has the typical P R N D on the lower right, with the gear circled. When you drop the shifter into the autostick position, number with the circle around it will appear to the right of the P R N D. The number indicates the current gear that the transmission is in. You can shift from drive into the autostick position at any speed, including stopped, and the autostick will be in whatever gear that the transmission was in when it was in D (fully automatic mode).

To use the autostick, momentarily push the stick to the right to make the transmission shift up a gear, or push it momentarily to the left to shift down a gear. If you want to shift down two gears, for example, then you have to push the stick to the left twice. The number on the instrument cluster will change to show what gear you're in. Just as with a manual transmission, 1 is the lowest gear, 6 is the highest gear.

One nice aspect, compared to a fully manual transmission is that the electronic control for the transmission is still watching over things, so you can't over rev the engine, nor stall it out, as it will make shifts for you if you top out in a gear. So don't be afraid to play with it...after the engine break-in.

During the break-in period (first 300 miles), just use D, pay attention to the tachometer, and take notice where the transmission likes to shift on its own under various conditions. It will help you get a little bit of a feel as to what engine speeds you'll want to shift gears for the situation at hand.

If you've shifted a motorcycle (or a formula one race car), you already have the basics on how it works.

Your instrument cluster has the typical P R N D on the lower right, with the gear circled. When you drop the shifter into the autostick position, number with the circle around it will appear to the right of the P R N D. The number indicates the current gear that the transmission is in. You can shift from drive into the autostick position at any speed, including stopped, and the autostick will be in whatever gear that the transmission was in when it was in D (fully automatic mode).

To use the autostick, momentarily push the stick to the right to make the transmission shift up a gear, or push it momentarily to the left to shift down a gear. If you want to shift down two gears, for example, then you have to push the stick to the left twice. The number on the instrument cluster will change to show what gear you're in. Just as with a manual transmission, 1 is the lowest gear, 6 is the highest gear.

One nice aspect, compared to a fully manual transmission is that the electronic control for the transmission is still watching over things, so you can't over rev the engine, nor stall it out, as it will make shifts for you if you top out in a gear. So don't be afraid to play with it...after the engine break-in.

During the break-in period (first 300 miles), just use D, pay attention to the tachometer, and take notice where the transmission likes to shift on its own under various conditions. It will help you get a little bit of a feel as to what engine speeds you'll want to shift gears for the situation at hand.

well written, I like it :shift:

Rob

Thank you 360 for your explanation. I will do as you suggest and wait until the Journey is broken in. I intend to tow a 16 foot trailer now and then to go camping so the autostik should be neat to use.

I imagine it takes a woman (my wife, I mean) a long time to learn this shifting business. I will have to really know how to use the stik myself before I let her fool around with it!

Thank you 360 for your explanation. I will do as you suggest and wait until the Journey is broken in. I intend to tow a 16 foot trailer now and then to go camping so the autostik should be neat to use.

I imagine it takes a woman (my wife, I mean) a long time to learn this shifting business. I will have to really know how to use the stik myself before I let her fool around with it!

Nah, you can let her fool around with your stick first, let her get the feel of it... in my experience its always been better that way:)

... sorry I couldnt resist;)