Should I buy a great condition 2009 SXT for $10k

heyitsme

So long story short, my dad's company car is being turned in and I can purchase it tomorrow for $10k. Reading all the negative reviews online has kind of scared me. The 2009 Dodge Journey SXT, mileage is 64,234 and he treats his cars like babies so condition is great. So far he has had the brakes pads replaced twice and had an engine ticking sound early on that the dealer fixed. $10k is a little under KBB trade in value, but not so much so that I want to take a risk if everyone has lots of problems with these.

Please, any quick help tonight would be appreciated. I have to make the decision by tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks!

Human nature dictates that we will complain before we will congratulate. That goes for complaining about our vehicles as well when things just don't go the way we hoped. When you look at the number of complaints on here and how relatively minor they are and correctable by proper maintenance and dealer attention then I think you may do well with the purchase. My suggestion to you is this --- Ask your father if he would buy this vehicle knowing what it has done for him since he first drove it. $10K for a 2009 SXT is a great price. I do not know what options are included in this vehicle but considering what else is out there for this kind of cash, I would seriously consider it. 64K miles is a lot for this 2 year old vehicle and if all he has done is replace brake pads twice and have a 'ticking' noise cared for then i suspect not much else is going to happen other than fair wear and tear. Have a good chat with Dad and come to an informed decision.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice, dad likes the car for the price... but he also hasn't done very much research. Seems like the biggest problem is the brakes, which he supsects will continue to need attention. I realize that people like to bitch more than they like to praise... but this car and dodge in general tend to get more complaints then usual. I've had some bad luck with dodge in the past (two intrepids) and some good luck (a magnum).

I'm open to any other advice to sway me one way or another. Would most people on here recommend the Journey to relatives if they asked?

Thanks for the advice, dad likes the car for the price... but he also hasn't done very much research. Seems like the biggest problem is the brakes, which he supsects will continue to need attention. I realize that people like to bitch more than they like to praise... but this car and dodge in general tend to get more complaints then usual. I've had some bad luck with dodge in the past (two intrepids) and some good luck (a magnum).

I'm open to any other advice to sway me one way or another. Would most people on here recommend the Journey to relatives if they asked?

When my parents were looking for a new vehicle, I recommended the Journey. Let them borrow it for a day and they wound up buying the same unit, in a different colour.

I don't have any experience with the 2009 model, but if the driver would recommend it and since he's a guy you should be able to trust I'd say go for it.

I would not buy it just for my own opinion, think about it why they selling it for $10k for a car considerably 2 years old? you need to do a thorough research and ask the previous owner a lot of questions like the history of that vehicle or you could also bring a mechanic to check the condition, long story short, RESEARCH.

I would not buy it just for my own opinion, think about it why they selling it for $10k for a car considerably 2 years old? you need to do a thorough research and ask the previous owner a lot of questions like the history of that vehicle or you could also bring a mechanic to check the condition, long story short, RESEARCH.

The good thing is there is no red flag in that dept. I know the owner, its been babied / all highway miles etc. Essentially it either goes to me or straight to auction, so they figure sell it close to auction and save a lot of hassle.