Electronic Stability Program

sucosam

Ok, so first off, let me apologize for asking what should probably be a known solution. My 2010 Journey AWD R/T is my first vehicle with AWD. The other day we had some fresh snow on the road and I found the car sliding a bit. I see that there's a Traction Control OFF button. I don't know that I'll be able to find / afford winter tires this season so I'm wondering if even with the all seasons and the AWD if I should be alright? Should I be turning the Traction control Off (meaning that I have a light showing a car with skid marks in my dash screen) when it's slippery out? I'm just not sure what means it's on, and what means it's off and when I should be using it or not. Any advice?

Sam

Ok, so first off, let me apologize for asking what should probably be a known solution. My 2010 Journey AWD R/T is my first vehicle with AWD. The other day we had some fresh snow on the road and I found the car sliding a bit. I see that there's a Traction Control OFF button. I don't know that I'll be able to find / afford winter tires this season so I'm wondering if even with the all seasons and the AWD if I should be alright? Should I be turning the Traction control Off (meaning that I have a light showing a car with skid marks in my dash screen) when it's slippery out? I'm just not sure what means it's on, and what means it's off and when I should be using it or not. Any advice?

Sam

I think that when the light is on in the dash it is on. I turn mine on when it is snowing or raining,and I find my tires to be good in the snow for now.

When there is no ESP light then it is fully operational. When you press the ESP button and it lights up, it is in Partial Off Mode. It will never be completely OFF. Per the manual, the ESP corrects for over or under steer of the vehicle. If you are using snow chains or in deep mud or snow, they recommend to turn it to Partial Off mode which I suppose will provide a better launch.