Rear brake disc red hot, smoking

I had a short drive this morning, still dark out and the trip is only about 20km return. I live in the country, so drive about 80-90k most of the way, have a stop sign at the end, then another few minutes coming into town. I dropped off my son, then returned home. When I got out of the vehicle, i could smell burnt brakes, and I looked at the drivers side rear and the rotor was red hot, and popping. I checked all the others, and they were cool to the touch. I have smelled the brake smell before, but just thought alot of stop and go, but there wasn't really any stopping??? Also the outside temperature was at around 0C, (Some snow on the roof)

I could only imagine if this happened on a long trip, or what kind of damage it would cause to the bearings and seals?? I have done some searching about this problem, and there has been some mention of the stability system which controls each brake independently could have some type of failure, keeping the brake on all the time just a bit. To me this could cause a very serious safety issue on a highway if there was a need to stop in bad weather. The brake fade on the one wheel could really throw the sensors off??

I have to take the same leisurely trip in tomorrow morning, I am going to take my vid camera for the whole trip.

RP

I had a short drive this morning, still dark out and the trip is only about 20km return. I live in the country, so drive about 80-90k most of the way, have a stop sign at the end, then another few minutes coming into town. I dropped off my son, then returned home. When I got out of the vehicle, i could smell burnt brakes, and I looked at the drivers side rear and the rotor was red hot, and popping. I checked all the others, and they were cool to the touch. I have smelled the brake smell before, but just thought alot of stop and go, but there wasn't really any stopping??? Also the outside temperature was at around 0C, (Some snow on the roof)

I could only imagine if this happened on a long trip, or what kind of damage it would cause to the bearings and seals?? I have done some searching about this problem, and there has been some mention of the stability system which controls each brake independently could have some type of failure, keeping the brake on all the time just a bit. To me this could cause a very serious safety issue on a highway if there was a need to stop in bad weather. The brake fade on the one wheel could really throw the sensors off??

I have to take the same leisurely trip in tomorrow morning, I am going to take my vid camera for the whole trip.

RP

If you don't have any warning light on in the dash you probably have a gripped caliper ( brake cylinder stuck ) you get a warning light If it's a failure of the stability system. Get this verified/repaired or the wheel bearing is the next think to go.

Had the same problem with our 2010 R/T. Caliper was getting stuck on left rear. Apparently dealer said they were having issues with these and appears that they added some stainless shim plate and some grease where the cast iron brake parts slide on each other. They replaced rotors and brakes are fine now. I believe they recommended more frequent rear brake service to make sure the sliding components stay free. Check with your dealer.

• 2 months later...