Winter rims need TPMS?

zmttoxics

I need to get winter rims and tires pretty soon. Do I need to get TPMS installed on the rims? The caliber needed them otherwise it would tell me I had no air in my tires every 10 minutes. The journey doesn't have an as advanced TPMS system though (the caliber shows the air pressure in each tire and stuff where the journey says a warning light will come on if one is low).

I need to get winter rims and tires pretty soon. Do I need to get TPMS installed on the rims? The caliber needed them otherwise it would tell me I had no air in my tires every 10 minutes. The journey doesn't have an as advanced TPMS system though (the caliber shows the air pressure in each tire and stuff where the journey says a warning light will come on if one is low).

if you use your Journey without TPMS installed , you will get a one time sound chime at start up and the yellow TPMS light in the gauge cluster will blink a few times and stay on all the time while you drive ...no continuous warning sound if you are worring about that.

however , i don't know what happen when you have the EVIC system ... probably the same thing as the caliber.

Edited by Burn

The dealer might be able to switch it off of no TPMS is installed. Will cost you some money, a new set of TPMS (ebay - has good offers) might cost you around $ 75.00.

I have an Avenger with wintertires and run them without TMPS, have the EVIC, and hear a chime when staring and every 15 miles or so.

Well the dealership gave me a super awesome quote of 1200 for rims, tires and installation / balancing. Then they quoted me $100 a tire for TPMS sensors. What an awesome phone call that was. :hysterical2:

I will be phoning Canadian tire and some other local shops next...

TPMS sensors should be around 50-60$ Cnd each ......no more.

for winter wheels you can ask wheels for dodge caravan , same bolt pattern as the Journey ... some vendors will ask more $$ for journey winter wheels just because the model is newer. i tried one of my winter wheel on a 2010 Caravan and it's a direct fit ... but the Caravan need smaller tires.

You can try to find some cheap Caravan alloy wheels at the junk yard and use them for the winter.

Edited by Burn