Changed my brakes and painted my calipers.....

To see all my pictures (painted brake caliper, etc), I think you will have to go to my photo gallery or go here:

I think I'm done tinkering with my Journey. I changed my brakes at 19,000 miles (car less than a year old). The fronts had a quarter pad left and the rears had half the pad left. I was suprised the rear was not that worn, but for being less than a year old, that was a lot. While I was changing the brakes, I decided to paint the calipers. It turned out really well. So, everything I done to my Journey total:

HID lights

LED cabin lights

LED turn signals and parking lights (I changed my brakes to LEDs and then changed them back to regular because daytime braking is too hard to see)

LED license plate lights

New rims and tires (18 inch)

Extra Dodge badges added (front doors seal area, dash board, cargo area, engine block plastic cover, and outside area below the front doors) [ it sounds like a lot, but it looks good]

Re-badged xtreme instead of R/T, SXT, SE, etc. (front and rear)

Added air vents (fake ones)

Chrome door handle covers

synthetic oil after my first 3000 miles

Painted brake calipers red (with clear coat also)

Ceramic brake pads (Last longer and will help me have less brake dust too)

Tinted windows

Chrome dodge license plate cover

Mud flaps

Chrome/silver gas and brake pedals (covers)

Things I might do:

Chome fuel door ($75. I can't bring myself to pay that much for it. If I see it cheaper somewhere, maybe I'll do it)

Do something with that compartment on the dash board (like the one guy that added a GPS unit there)

Do somthing with the extra light socket I now have under the hood after installing HIDs

At any rate, I think I'm done. Time to move on to a new project....

I added a picture to the slideshow showing the caliper paint I used. I used the spray paint type. It does not have to say caliper paint. You can use the engine enamel. Just make sure it can withstand 500 degrees F or more and try to use one with ceramic in it. I painted my wifes calipers (white) 2 or so years ago. They still look like new (when they are clean). Also, you don't have to clear coat them, but I do. It gives them a better shine and help them last longer (the clear coat will have to wear out first before the paint). I only coated my wifes twice, but I coated mine about 4 times and then clear coated them 2 more times. You don't have to coat them that many times, that was just me. Also, anyone that wants to do this too, It would be BEST if you don't use your car until the next day. If you do use your car, there is a chance the new brake dust will stick to the paint. Just make sure they are completely dry before you drive your car.

As far as the brake pads, the rear pads are from Autozone ($60), and the fronts are from Pepboys ($50). Front and rears are ceramic. The fronts at Autozone cost almost $80, so that is why I bought them from Pepboys. I just installed them on Thursday (7/1/10), so it is too early to say which one is better and how long they will last.

Nice work, well done. You mentioned in the things you might do that a guy put a GPS in the center dash compartment. I have been considering this and trying to find "the guy" or post that you mentioned. Do you mind posting a link here? I tried searching and come up empty handed.

Thanks,

Nice work, well done. You mentioned in the things you might do that a guy put a GPS in the center dash compartment. I have been considering this and trying to find "the guy" or post that you mentioned. Do you mind posting a link here? I tried searching and come up empty handed.

Thanks,

Here you go:

• 4 months later...

To see all my pictures (painted brake caliper, etc), I think you will have to go to my photo gallery or go here:

I think I'm done tinkering with my Journey. I changed my brakes at 19,000 miles (car less than a year old). The fronts had a quarter pad left and the rears had half the pad left. I was suprised the rear was not that worn, but for being less than a year old, that was a lot. While I was changing the brakes, I decided to paint the calipers. It turned out really well. So, everything I done to my Journey total:

HID lights

LED cabin lights

LED turn signals and parking lights (I changed my brakes to LEDs and then changed them back to regular because daytime braking is too hard to see)

LED license plate lights

New rims and tires (18 inch)

Extra Dodge badges added (front doors seal area, dash board, cargo area, engine block plastic cover, and outside area below the front doors) [ it sounds like a lot, but it looks good]

Re-badged xtreme instead of R/T, SXT, SE, etc. (front and rear)

Added air vents (fake ones)

Chrome door handle covers

synthetic oil after my first 3000 miles

Painted brake calipers red (with clear coat also)

Ceramic brake pads (Last longer and will help me have less brake dust too)

Tinted windows

Chrome dodge license plate cover

Mud flaps

Chrome/silver gas and brake pedals (covers)

Things I might do:

Chome fuel door ($75. I can't bring myself to pay that much for it. If I see it cheaper somewhere, maybe I'll do it)

Do something with that compartment on the dash board (like the one guy that added a GPS unit there)

Do somthing with the extra light socket I now have under the hood after installing HIDs

At any rate, I think I'm done. Time to move on to a new project....

LOOKS GREAT - WHAT SIZE ARE THE TIRES?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I went with the same rims and tires.

I pulled those 19" plastic chrome ones off.

The Rim is called "Sport Edition F10"

It can be found at tire rack. There are only a few rims that will work with the bolt pattern and offset.

The tire is P225/60R18

This keeps the same profile and the not much difference on the speed odmeter.

Wheels and Tires I was out the door for 1K. For new Kumo tires, It was about the same.