AWD PTO seal problem effects early model 09's - THIS IS A KNOWN PROBLEM!!!

biturbo

Found out through a good friend at the local Dodge dealer that the failing PTO seal on AWD models apparently effects early model 2009's. It's happened to my R/T and his wife's R/T. Mine they only replaced the seal and filled with new fluid. His they replaced the entire transfer case. They also found cross threaded O2 sensors from the factory and had to order new exhaust system.

We also had 2 cups of water in our transmission when bought new. Caused the tranny to foam and spit out the vent tube. Dealer said they have no idea how water got inside a "sealed" transmission.

Update.....took the vehicle back to the dealer due to continuing noise and rough running off idle. They found cross threaded O2 sensors on the exhaust system, so new parts ordered.

Also heard a rumor the problem with these vehicles has to do with a bad design of the A/C system and the transmission vent. When the A/C is on the condensation apparently finds it's way into the tranny vent which means water in the transmission fluid. And since the tranny and transfer case share fluid this is why the PTO seal is failing, probably due to corrosion. I can't confirm and MOPAR hasn't come out and said this is the problem but it makes sense to me. And it explains why my vehicle, purchased brand new, had TWO CUPS OF WATER in the transmission after only 1500 miles.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The dealer came back and said that the the bolts were loose in the back of the PTO unit, causing the oil to come out when the unit was under a lot of pressure. The problem is "solved" according to the dealer, but I'm hesitant to take their word for it. So, my takeaway from this incident is that there are multiple ways to address the problem- 1) Replace the entire unit; 2) Replace broken or cracked seals 3) Replaces the transfer case; 4) Check to make sure the bolts on the back of the unit are tight. I will report back if anything else happens.