Tires For Better Handling On FWD?

I know nothing about tires so if anyone can give some advice that would be great!

Took the car to the Orange County hills out by Blackstar/Santiago Canyon road and did some drive tests. Around some corners i could feel the car bounce a bit and was wondering what sort of tires will grip the road better?

Ive seen those jap looking track tires but i am not sure if thats just a hyped look or if they really perform.

The tires that come stock on the Journey are meant for comfort and all weather use. They are not really a performance tire

at all. Going to Tirerack.com and looking their selection over for tires our size nets few notable tire selctions.

Going to a 235/50R-19 size tire gives us a few more selections like the Dunlop SP Sport 7000 A/S or the Continental CrossContact UHP.

I am sure that in a little while more will be available. I would lean towards the Dunlops after my tires get worn down.

Chris

Is the road where you take these corners bumpy? If your tires are bouncing when you hit bumps they may be overinflated. Check the cold inflation pressure against the recommended pressure printed on the placard located on the inside of the drivers door. Sometimes well meaning but uninformed tire and oil change shops will adjust the pressure to the maximum pressure listed on the tires. If the difference is great enough this may cause the tires to bounce over bumps especially when unloaded during cornering. As to the road grip, there are certainly tires that provide more than the original equipment but not usually without compromise. Super sticky summer only treads may impress with dry grip but will likely wear fast, produce more noise, and may not inspire confidence in the rain.

Is the road where you take these corners bumpy? If your tires are bouncing when you hit bumps they may be overinflated. Check the cold inflation pressure against the recommended pressure printed on the placard located on the inside of the drivers door. Sometimes well meaning but uninformed tire and oil change shops will adjust the pressure to the maximum pressure listed on the tires. If the difference is great enough this may cause the tires to bounce over bumps especially when unloaded during cornering. As to the road grip, there are certainly tires that provide more than the original equipment but not usually without compromise. Super sticky summer only treads may impress with dry grip but will likely wear fast, produce more noise, and may not inspire confidence in the rain.

Thanks for the tips guys... The tires so far seem to be with in operating range as far as the PSI goes. I live in Los Angeles so the weather honestly is about 50/50 when it comes to dry weather vs the rain. Some streets are bumpy but for the most part i am on pretty even pavement.

With that being said i do like the super sporty look of those jap brands but i dont want to sacrifice good handling in a wet enviorment.

By super sticky summer tires I was thinking extreme performance or competition. There are several performance summer tires with respectable grip in the wet though probably none to fit your SXT. You will most likely find sport truck and all season tires. When reading tire reviews online consider at least the type of vehicle and location of the reviewer. I prefer independent instrumented testing to seat of the pants reviews but it is rarely available. The problem with user reviews is that some are influenced by unreasonable expectations, brand bias, and shills posing as the average Joe over-hyping their companies products or downplaying the merits of competitor offerings.

This is one of the many reasons I like and BUY from Tirerack or at least look at their reviews and buy local if I can.

I have found that most of the places I deal with, will give me the Tirerack price or sometimes do better on price.

They like myself, would rather see the money stay locally, and so would I.

Appalachian Journey is correct on the 19 and 20 inch size tires right now. Most will be Truckish or SUV style tires.

Even for my New Camaro, I am limited on tire size to be sure, but that Car is stored during the harsh winters around

these parts. I waited 35 years for that car, and intend to leave it to someone in my family when I pass away...