2017 Journey is 4.3 to 8.4 screen posible

Hey guys looking to add a backup camera to my 2017 Journey, I have the 4.3 display and was wondering if I could swap it out with the 8.4 from the scrap yard and add a rear backup camera to it

Are there any model year 8.4 displays that work with less messing around ?

Do I need the auto temp assembly, don't care if I have auto temp as long as I can control heat and cold ?

Do some model year 8.4 systems need a pin, If I buy a used assemble will I need a passcode ?

Not worried about Bluetooth, or Navigation, unless its easy to get working.

Just trying to get backup camera before the wife runs over our dog   :-(

Anything else that you guys can add 

Thanks much !

I am in the same boat you are. Wife had a smaller car with backup camera and sensors. Journey we now have has neither. She is terrified of hitting something or running over someone.

Over the past couple weeks I picked up a 8.4 rb5 setup for our 17 Journey. The donor was a 16. It was plug and play. We had Sirius on the 4" so it was as simple as it can be. Takes 15 to 20 minutes to swap them out. No programming needed.

I picked up the auto hvac controls but from what I have read the only thing it adds is access to the sd card slot. We have the 22degree bug but it's a non issue.

You will need a pin. I purchased mine from an ebay seller for $3.00. Took all of 5 minutes. He even asked me to try the pin before paying him. I wrote the pin onto the radio for future reference.

If you can try to avoid the 14 to 16 rb5. They have corrupted memory issues which cause a locked maps issues. Ours has it but I installed a new set of maps from open source maps and have it mostly working. I still get the error on startup but then it works. If you go this route only add one set of maps. I added midwest and northeast usa maps and it only loaded the northeast maps. I will get back around to it but it works well enough for the time being.

I have not added the backup cam yet but have ordered one for $90 as well as pulled wiring harness and factory cam from the 16. I will try to get factory setup working. If that fails I will use the kit. You will need to program the vehicle for the cam to work. Dealer can do it but I would get Alfaobd and an adapter.

If your handy it may be worthwhile to talk to a few junkyards and find one who will work with you. We sold them a totaled car and they hooked me up. $50 and I was able to get anything I wanted from the crashed Journey. I pulled the entire interior from the donor. I have heated leather seats installed and working now. Eventually I will add the bluetooth, remote start and alpine system as well.

On 1/20/2023 at 7:21 AM, Dodgems said:

Over the past couple weeks I picked up a 8.4 rb5 setup for our 17 Journey. The donor was a 16. It was plug and play. We had Sirius on the 4" so it was as simple as it can be. Takes 15 to 20 minutes to swap them out. No programming needed.

Thank you for all the great information

Can you tell me is there a code on the Radio unit, or Display unit that would tell you if its an RB5 system

Do you think the display just shows what the radio unit sends and doesn't hold/contain any Nav and other functions ?

Also any Idea if I have a 2017, would a unit form 2018-2020 work ?

Thanks again for taking the time to post some great info, it is very helpful to me.

The part number on both should be checked. I don't know them as I had a Journey to take from so it wasn't a concern for me. The original sticker was in the glove box so I knew from that I had the right radio. Check the uconnect thread. It should have part numbers. If you have the donor cars vin you can run it through uconnect or the chrysler vin decoder to tell you what it should be. Remember not all displays or units will fit a Journey. Some mount differently. My RB5 is P68283417AA. The aa at the end does not matter. aa indicates first iteration of that unit. If it has ab or ac ect that just means it's a newer version.

The display is just that. A display. I do not think it contains any functions.

From my understanding the 18 and up have android auto and more capability. As to them being installed oem or fitting a Journey I have no idea. The only swaps I have seen of them were in Rams. The prices I have seen are insane for those units.

I would not say to never buy a 14 to 16 unit. The memory issue was only certain units. There is a fix for it. One of the radio repair companies has the repair listed for $250. If you have decent google fu and some patience you can get it working on your own. Our nav works but we get the error on startup. Click okay and it functions. Open Source Maps has maps formatted for garmin systems. Just have to be careful as I have not figured out how to delete maps. Pick the map you will most likely use. Do not play around with multiple maps. If you already own a garmin you can use true garmin maps.

One thing I noticed yesterday was using the screen to adjust the temp caused it to go cold. It was the first sub 30 degree day since install. Moving the slider up or down the temp went down. I tested it last week when I installed it it was blowing hot air out the vents when slid to warmer.  Using the heater control panel it still works as it should.

I honestly believe with alfaobd, the harness for and the humidity sensor as well as cabin temp and sun sensor this thing should work. I did grab the hvac control unit and will install it once I have the other auto ac parts installed and changed sales codes to auto temp control. There is a charger thread where he replaced the hvac module and had the slider working.

As an aside. The heated seats are really nice. The better half was very happy having a warm tushy. They plugged right in. Added codes to tipm and it works.