Tyre Valves and spare tyre? Can i fit one!!!

My Journey was towed to the dealer tonight from my train station all because the tyre valve split and i have no spare!!!

Firstly i shall be interested to see if they cover it under warranty...i see many others have had the very same problem.

Secondly, can i fit a spare tyre? Is there room? Is there a market where they fit a spare and is it a full size or space saver? This is the second time i have had to have it towed for a flat. The first time i tried the goo that comes with it and was then told it needs a new tyre....£145. Now its the inconvenience of the wait....in the cold.....and its dinner time.....a spare will make the future much better!!!

Can anyone tell me how it fits? Is there a parts manual anywhere? My diesel only has 1 pipe!!!

I've got 2.7l Petrol with a single pipe and I have the spare fitted.

This is from the US owners manual which you can download here

The spare tire is stowed underneath the rear of the

vehicle and is held in place by means of a cable winch

mechanism.

My journey is back, all sorted under warranty. They tell me i have a tyre valve pack fitted, and that all valves have been replaced. I'm not sure the lovely lady on the desk knows...so has anyone else had this happen?

Is there a better replacement?

Im on the tyre learning curve.....i lost it for 48 hrs because the dealer is 25 miles away and i work so couldnt pick it up yesterday....

The good thing is its valeted again. I have to say that i have my car 6 months...only washed it once because everytine it goes back for a warranty claim, they clean it for me. Its been back a few times, mainly fiddly little things.....

My Journey was towed to the dealer tonight from my train station all because the tyre valve split and i have no spare!!!

Firstly i shall be interested to see if they cover it under warranty...i see many others have had the very same problem.

Secondly, can i fit a spare tyre? Is there room? Is there a market where they fit a spare and is it a full size or space saver? This is the second time i have had to have it towed for a flat. The first time i tried the goo that comes with it and was then told it needs a new tyre....£145. Now its the inconvenience of the wait....in the cold.....and its dinner time.....a spare will make the future much better!!!

Today 13.3.2010 my tyre valve split whilst checking pressure. Took tyre to dealer £30 for new valve plus £28 to have warning light reset. Didn't pay - put a rubber tyre valve in does the job and is flexible. Have warning light on dash - hey ho (I know when I have a puncture) going to change all valves to rubber and instal protex tyre sealant to prevent punctures. Cost of changing valves £15 for 4 tyres installation of anti pucture (protex) £70. I say fancy warning lights and valves are a rip off big time. Mines is a Journey SXT auto CRD 09 model. I tried the warranty route - no use at weekends as no mechanics available to look at broken valve.

Today 13.3.2010 my tyre valve split whilst checking pressure. Took tyre to dealer £30 for new valve plus £28 to have warning light reset. Didn't pay - put a rubber tyre valve in does the job and is flexible. Have warning light on dash - hey ho (I know when I have a puncture) going to change all valves to rubber and instal protex tyre sealant to prevent punctures. Cost of changing valves £15 for 4 tyres installation of anti pucture (protex) £70. I say fancy warning lights and valves are a rip off big time. Mines is a Journey SXT auto CRD 09 model. I tried the warranty route - no use at weekends as no mechanics available to look at broken valve.

I understand the frustration. I will look at a slim spare, thats what is now fitted to the 2010 models. Im lucky that i live near a train station and have a second vehicle, but i shall make Dodge pay for all its faults, and i have to say the Dodge breakdown service is very very good.

You can turn the light of...its in the manual, i remember reading it somewhere!!!!

You might want to take a look at this thread on the Caliber UK forum (includes Journey and other Chrysler/Dodge cars).

http://caliberowners.co.uk/index.php?topic=2831.0;topicseen

I've got a R/T and my local tyre supplier has told me that 225/55/19 tyres are just under £130 fitted. Takes two days to get one though.

I had an issue with Dodge UK and Kumho UK last year as it appeared the 19'' tyres were unavailable. I wasn't happy that the 09 Journey didn't come with a space saver so last year bought a full size alloy, tyre and valve. Cost me £400! It's not really practical to carry a massive spare in the boot but at least I have peace of mind. I might get a space saver, winch and cover. I was quoted just under £300 for the parts.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to take a look at this thread on the Caliber UK forum (includes Journey and other Chrysler/Dodge cars).

http://caliberowners.co.uk/index.php?topic=2831.0;topicseen

I've got a R/T and my local tyre supplier has told me that 225/55/19 tyres are just under £130 fitted. Takes two days to get one though.

I had an issue with Dodge UK and Kumho UK last year as it appeared the 19'' tyres were unavailable. I wasn't happy that the 09 Journey didn't come with a space saver so last year bought a full size alloy, tyre and valve. Cost me £400! It's not really practical to carry a massive spare in the boot but at least I have peace of mind. I might get a space saver, winch and cover. I was quoted just under £300 for the parts.

Cheers!

(I might get a space saver, winch and cover. I was quoted just under £300 for the parts.)

Hi BAC , are planning to get this from the dealer or somewhere else... :D

jokker8