Considering Buying a Journey

psaulesl

Hi there folks,

I'm looking to replace my 2003 Grand Caravan Sport (loaded - DVD, trailering, etc). I've taken the newer Dodge Caravans out but they are noisier at idle and on the highway, and their interiors are totally decontented compared to my 2003. One vehicle I really liked was the Dodge Journey.. I am also seriously considering a Chevy Traverse. I almost bought a Journey last year, but, after reading the forums, I didnt make the purchase, since it seemed to be shaking down several design issues, and got poor city gas mileage... I ended up spending repair money instead. At 220,000kms on the Caravan, it's time to look again.

I'm hoping the leaks / reliability issues / fuel economy on the 2010 Journey got better.

I looked at a related forum posting here (Forum Link) and am looking for your advice, based on our needs.

Requirements - Critical:

1) Can tow 3200 lbs

2) Can carry 6+ people

3) Can carry 4 people + a decent amount of cargo (say, two coolers and 4 medium sized suitcases).

4) Decent snow performance

5) Excellent full-back area cargo space with just two passengers

Requirements: Nice to have's, if not conflicting

4) 500km+ range

5) AWD

6) REAL Fuel economy: city: 14l/100kms or better ; Hwy: 11l/100km or better on 120km/h trips (mild conditions)

7) Seats that fold fown for cargo hauling that don't need removal from the vehicle.

Any suggestions/comments/alternatives? Would you buy your Journey again, after your experiences?

I concur with the minivans. Present generation just doesn't do it for me. My wife has a 2002 Caravan with 140,000+ miles and it's still fine.

As for questions, here's my thoughts:

1) Can tow 3200 lbs

I believe the Journey is 3500lbs with tow package.

2) Can carry 6+ people

No problem with 5+2 seating. Back row is better suited for smaller people/kids, though.

3) Can carry 4 people + a decent amount of cargo (say, two coolers and 4 medium sized suitcases).

Shouldn't be a problem, though you might need to stack & lose some visibility.

4) Decent snow performance

Couldn't tell you. Our only decent snofall this season came when I was out of town!

5) Excellent full-back area cargo space with just two passengers

Yep!

4) 500km+ range

I get 330-350 miles (530-560 km) between fill ups with around-town (mixed) driving. I have the 3.5L V6.

5) AWD

I have FWD.

6) REAL Fuel economy: city: 14l/100kms or better ; Hwy: 11l/100km or better on 120km/h trips (mild conditions)

For my around-town driving, I get 19-20 miles per gallon. I have yet to take it on a true road trip so I can't tell you pure highway mileage. Sometimes I get a spectacularly good spike and vice versa, but rating it 19.5 MPG is fair.

7) Seats that fold fown for cargo hauling that don't need removal from the vehicle.

All seats (except driver) fold down. I can get 8+ foot lengths of lumber in there with tailgate closed. I love that!

If I had to do it all over again, I'd say definitely. Only regret is that I didn't get chrome rims!

One thing to keep in mind - new trim levels are supposed to be available "any day now". I don't know if that would affect your decision but its good to know. I hate it when I buy something only to find it gets replaced with something better and/or cheaper a few weeks later.

As a UK Owner, who's had lots of problems with an original 2008 Journey, (as of yesterday replaced free gratis via Chrysler...Cheers!!) i say STUFF the Chevy, and buy a Journey..

1) as dp360 states, will haul upto 3500lbs...AND DOES!!!

2) Yep no probs...

3) No problems....

4) only have the FWD in the UK, but in recent snow etc handled brilliantly ...even out shone a Land rover... Ha ha!!

5) with the seats flat, you do just get one lovely FLAT large cargo space... as a Joiner i made a nice hardwood front door, slid it into the rear ..flat and just about managed to get the tail gate SHUT... i was impressed...

6) i wont upset you with my 2.0L turbo diesel figures... (40 + ...oops!! sorry.. but hey the UK gallon is a tad bigger i believe... 4.5 liter to a UK gallon)

7) AWD personnally i don't think you need it... just think of the extra gas i will guzzle....

8) again see answer 6... as about 30mpg in town.... OOOPS!

9) like answer 5... Just on nice FLAT surface....

as i've stated before, i had loads of probs with my early MY08 Journey.... and i still wanted a replacement... ( and got one...) have seriously not EVER found such a good alrounder..

don't just take my/our word for it...take one on a test drive.....