Engine stalled with no root cause

Hello -

My 2012 Journey with the 3.6 Pentastar is currently at the dealer, and they aren't having much luck diagnosing our issue.  We were coming into Phoenix last weekend after a long and HOT road trip down I-10 (outside air temps between 105-110 all afternoon/evening).  Temp gauge was running higher than normal but nothing I would consider alarming (and no warning lights on the dash).

As I accelerated, the transmission down-shifted from 4th to 3rd, and the engine silently failed.  No POP, no BANG, no initial studder, no hesitation. Just full regular power, part-throttle down-shift, then off.  We rolled to the side of the freeway, and it wouldn't start.  We attempted three times to start it, but nothing.

The dealer pulled the codes and didn't find much.  Anyone have a similar issue where the engine basically died and was unable to restart until it cooled down?  I wish I would have tried to start it one last time after the tow truck driver had dropped it off, but at that point we thought it was a major engine failure.

Is it possible that the ECM overheated?  My best guess is that the ECM got too hot, but you'd think it would record a OBD code for that.