Heat issues

Salley347

Hi there, I’m new to the site and hoping to solve an on going issue with my 2011 Journey RT.

I’ve searched google over and over so I’ll explain the issue and then post what I have done.

Within the last 2 years the heat in the vehicle has been poor. It will blow Luke warm out of the passenger side and cool on the drivers side. Regardless what I do the issue appears almost immediately. 

Blend doors are working, replaced the actuator just to try... no difference!

Changed the T-stat (twice)... no difference 

Flushed the heater core (3 times).... same thing. 

Today I spent the whole day trying to get heat 

Flushed heater core, changed thermostat and ran the vehicle. Nothing... noticed the upper rad hose was hot but felt it was full of air so I let it run. The longer I ran it with the rad cap off the better heat I had. It was evident that there was air in the system.

i ran it for approx an hour and had awesome heat. Capped the no spill funnel, let it cool then capped it off with the rad cap.

Both front and rear heat was exceptional. Driving home I had to turn the heat down so I was pretty sure I solved something. By the time I got home, good heat on the pass side, cool air on the drivers. 

I’m lost! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hoping someone has gone through this.

Lol sorry for your trouble wow. I’ve had the same problem with different temps, but have not replaced anything. 

Just my experience here...

Winter is upon us and when I turn on the heat both sides, cool air on pass side. I’ve opened the glove box, dropped it down and assisted the warm/cool adjuster by hand idk how many times. 

Now for a wild card that might help you...

Let your inner trickster out and play some reverse psychology on your DJ. Try to turn the temp to the opposite you want. 

Ex. I set climate to floor and defrost mode cranked to max heat both sides. But pass side is freezing, by me now sliding or pressing the pass temp to LO/colder all the sudden... HOT air comes out. It’s sad and it ticks me off that they can’t be in ‘sync’ but hey it works for me. Might work for you?! Darn electrical mechanisms! 

Take care

14 hours ago, jchurch said:

Lol sorry for your trouble wow. I’ve had the same problem with different temps, but have not replaced anything. 

Just my experience here...

Winter is upon us and when I turn on the heat both sides, cool air on pass side. I’ve opened the glove box, dropped it down and assisted the warm/cool adjuster by hand idk how many times. 

Now for a wild card that might help you...

Let your inner trickster out and play some reverse psychology on your DJ. Try to turn the temp to the opposite you want. 

Ex. I set climate to floor and defrost mode cranked to max heat both sides. But pass side is freezing, by me now sliding or pressing the pass temp to LO/colder all the sudden... HOT air comes out. It’s sad and it ticks me off that they can’t be in ‘sync’ but hey it works for me. Might work for you?! Darn electrical mechanisms! 

Take care

Yup tried that, no luck! Thinking it’s a head gasket. Just doesn’t make sense.

with the rad cap off and the DJ running it will get good heat, as soon as you put the cap back on and take it for a drive it gets cool within minutes