Daytime running lights acting weird...

ckl

Don't know which forum to post this under, but here we go...

I just noticed that my DRL lights are flickering. I just happened to be stuck in traffic when I saw that the car infront of me was very shiny. So I was staring at his bumper when I noticed the reflection of my DRL lights. I saw that it was sort of flickering as in it doesn't have constant output. Every second or so it would dim a bit and then go back and vice versa. It's like in those movies when a light bulb run by a generator that's about to go out. Then I started to play around with the lights to see if this was happening with the regular lights. Nope. Just the DRL's. Then I tried the turns signals which are located on the same light cluster as the DRL's. What's weird is that when I activate the turn signal (whatever side), the DRL on the same side goes out. If I turn off the turn signal, the DRL goes back on. Is this normal?

The only thing electrical that was done to the car was during the hitch install performed by the dealer. It required hooking up the trailer tow wiring harness.

The only thing I can tell you is that it is normal that the DRL on the side you activate the turn signal goes out. It is a "safety" thing that most of Chrysler have. This way, other drivers can see better your signal turn.

For the flickering, it is not the first time I read about that, but I never noticed something as bad as you describe.