Rear Amber Turn Signals

A12Rag

I just got my Journey about 2 weeks ago - and we had winter temps, and 10cm of snow ! The R/T AWD seemed totally fine in all the slippery stuff. The question I have is : In North America, Mopar has decided to use the RED tailight for both stop and turn signal indication. Yet, in Europe, they have same taillight with Red for stop and AMBER for turn signal ! I would love to get a set of European taillights and then probably have to modify the wiring harness in the back (unless get the European wiring harness too), and have the same as the European spec models.

Would anyone from Europe be able to find out what the part numbers would be for the taillight assemblies (left & right), and or possibly the wiring harness too ??

Thanks,

Mark

On the outside, they have removed the light bulb (where you would have the amber bulb in the 2009) and left the lens with the clear on it . . . guess they figure it is cheaper ??? I much prefer the European set up and wish the north american manufacturer's would stop offering it on some vehicles, then going back to the red only. . . . I guess I can check with my local dealership to see what the part numbers are for 2009 and how much it will cost to change it . . .

I am not sure, I have not gotten that far into it. . . although my dealership parts dept. says that the wiring for the rear taillights in 2009 and 2010 is the same (????) . . . I like the amber turn signals better, but depending on how much it will cost to change things, I may or may not do this.

I am not sure, I have not gotten that far into it. . . although my dealership parts dept. says that the wiring for the rear taillights in 2009 and 2010 is the same (????) . . . I like the amber turn signals better, but depending on how much it will cost to change things, I may or may not do this.

You should take the lens off and take a look. I'm sure we are all wondering is there any wiring for your turn signal light in there.

If not, I can say it is not worth doing because wiring would have to be ran all the way up to the fuse box with the relays (and that is thru the frame of the car). I'm sure it would cost a few hundred to do.......

That is something I wanted my dealer parts guy to check for me, the actual wiring harness to see if it was a different part number . . . .which would then tell me that there was more to it than just changing out the taillight assembly. Then again, even leaving it the way it is and getting the 2009 taillight assembly, I could build a logic circuit that would take the turn signal flash from the red part of the lens and then have that turn make the amber bulb work. . . .I know it is a bit to work out, but certainly might be worth the modification to get the amber turn signal back

That is something I wanted my dealer parts guy to check for me, the actual wiring harness to see if it was a different part number . . . .which would then tell me that there was more to it than just changing out the taillight assembly. Then again, even leaving it the way it is and getting the 2009 taillight assembly, I could build a logic circuit that would take the turn signal flash from the red part of the lens and then have that turn make the amber bulb work. . . .I know it is a bit to work out, but certainly might be worth the modification to get the amber turn signal back

Cool. Keep us all posted.

If you decided to do it yourself, do a step by step write up so we all will know how to do it.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you ever find if the harness is the same and if there is a socket for a 3757 amber bulb?

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry everyone . . . have sort of stalled on this one. Have been out of town and busy with work . . .will have to check with dealership on the wiring harness again. I am SURE it MUST be different between 2009 and 2010 models.

Any word on the harness A12Rag ? This would be nice if we can make our 2010's have amber rears.

Phil.

• 1 month later...

Hey Phil . . . have not gotten any good news. The 2010 have the rear turn signal/brake and running light in one location. That means that the turn signal bulb & circuit is the same one used for braking. As such, changing to an amber bulb for turn signal operation, would also have it coming on when you hit the brakes. This would mean a total wiring harness change - right from the front of the car to the back. Along with a change in how the turn signal circuit is done versus the brake light circuit.

It's a real shame, I had wanted a vehicle with the rear amber turn signal. That is what I saw on the 2009 Journey. I just assumed that the 2010 would be the same. Not so in north america. . . .

Mark

Hey Phil . . . have not gotten any good news. The 2010 have the rear turn signal/brake and running light in one location. That means that the turn signal bulb & circuit is the same one used for braking. As such, changing to an amber bulb for turn signal operation, would also have it coming on when you hit the brakes. This would mean a total wiring harness change - right from the front of the car to the back. Along with a change in how the turn signal circuit is done versus the brake light circuit.

It's a real shame, I had wanted a vehicle with the rear amber turn signal. That is what I saw on the 2009 Journey. I just assumed that the 2010 would be the same. Not so in north america. . . .

Mark

Doesn't it just suck. I too wanted them. They also did the same with the front fog lamps. 2009's has the 9145 (45w bulb) with glass lenses, we get the the cheaper (24w with plastic lenses). To replace the lenses costs the following (2009 Journey Fog Lamp 75.55 EACH part# 4805856AB and a new 2009 Harness is part# 68024568AE 237.00). Why mess up a good thing? It boggles the mind.

The 2009 fog lamps also have plastic lenses, not glass.

I could have sworn when I tapped one in a parking lot it was glass. If they are plastic, that is cool as they will be able to deal with increased heat from 45w bulbs. I'm still looking for PSX24W replacements that are bright white but I think I will have to go with installing the 2009 lenses and buying 9145 silverstars or similar.

Phil.

• 3 years later...