Whining transmission or engine

miller7428

I am getting a louder then normal whining sound coming from my tranny or my engine. I have taken it in to the dealership and they tell me that is normal. I drove a rental Journey and didnt have the same issue....

I am getting really frustrated with my Journey since i have owned it about 3 months now and has been into the shop about 4 times for different things but keep getting told that is normal.

Any one else have the same sound. It almost sounds like a powere steering pump whine to a point.

Thank you for any ideas or similar issues...

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I have the AWD version and I can hear a whining noise as well. It only happens in certain conditions like making turn from a stand still (ie. left turn at an intersection) so yeah, it might be the power steering pump because I don't hear it at any other time. I haven't really given much thought about it since it doesn't bother me...

I have the AWD version and I can hear a whining noise as well. It only happens in certain conditions like making turn from a stand still (ie. left turn at an intersection) so yeah, it might be the power steering pump because I don't hear it at any other time. I haven't really given much thought about it since it doesn't bother me...

I have the AWD version also and it whines mainly when i am turning and also when teh transmission is shifting. The mechanic that rode with me to hear said it sounds louder then normal and then after picking it up they said it was normal whcih makes no sense.

I also get smoke coming out from under the hood and they said there was no sign of any leaks but yet i constantly get smoke when coming to a stop!!!

I am ready to write Chrysler about it and start really complaining....

is your an auto or stick shift????

as my Journey is going back due to clutch/gearbox probs, and when it gets hot (long distance or traffic jams) it squeals and whines from underneath, and smokes from the gearbox...... been advised its clucth/input shaft probs.....

Its an automatic with the stick shift so i can do both...

I have an 09 FWD SXT with autostick. I hear the whine as well. I get it when I am going up slightly inclined roads at around 40 to 55 MPH with the Journ in drive. The whine go's away when I shift it manually out of 6th into 5th. I'm not to worried about it since it has done it since new -- To me it's the 'nature of the beast'. It does do some gear-searching when I'm moving on a level surface at around 10 to 15 MPH. I got the car in April and it has 20,184 miles on it.

post-578-1253506621_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

My v6 ,Auto Stick Journey whined. Talked to the dealer's shop foreman who knew exactly what I was talking about. Three hours later they called to tell me that it was fixed. They tightened an exhaust clamp and readjusted an exhaust heat shield.