Rev Limiter MIL

I have an 09 Journey with 4500 miles on it and when merging onto expressway today we reached "around " 5000 rpm and the MIL came on and the Journey went into "limp" mode , it would only go 40 -45MPH and would cut out if pushed to go faster. After pulling off the road, shutting it off for a few seconds and re-starting everything was fine. So I wanted to recreate the issue so I know if it was a fluke or just a precaution in the computer, and it shut down at 5200RPM, went into "limp" mode and stayed there until it was turned off and re-started.

Has anyone else had this and is it normal?

The 3.5 should shift around 6000 rpm in drive and I have had it as high as 6500 using it in autostick without going in to limp mode. Doesn't sound right, my Intrepid frequently went into limp mode when the tranny was dying and needed to be shut off to reset. If you can get it to the dealer while it's in limp mode do so, that way they can't say they couldn't recreate the issue!