CD/DVD player will not accept disc

I have a 2009 Dodge Journey and just after purchasing it we load a DVD for the kids and it will not play. For a couple of days the disc would not eject. Not when we try to load a disc it will not accept it and will not recognize that we push a button for a slot in the disc changer. The same buttons work for preset radio stations though. I've also noticed that the passenger side heat/air controls aren't lit like the drivers side. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not. Does anyone have an idea what the problem is and how to fix it?

• 1 month later...

Ok I've had....have this same problem.....when I first bought my 2009 journey back in oct 2010 within the first 30 days the DVD would not read any DVD I put in....turned out something broke inside the entire unit....fortunately it was covered under carmax 30 day warranty thing.....secondly the passenger hvac lights not illuminating is just the back lights within the unit going out....I have yet to attempt to see if they can easily be replaced.....this just happened with me like two weeks ago....I will update this after taking my DVD unit apart to see what specifically is going on with the DVD units.....seeing as mine stopped working.....again