Manual Brake Bleeding Question

Hi all,

I was hoping that someone in this forum can help me with this question. I would like to at some point manually bleed the brakes on my 2011 DJ but the only thing that holds me back from doing this job is in the Chilton Manual for 2009 Journey (no manuals for other years after available) there is ABS bleeding which requires the use of a scan tool. They do however have a manual bleeding procedure which is the same as any other vehicle but I am not sure if this is okay to do with the ABS system. I don't want to do the bleeding to find out I have a soft pedal because of air in the ABS system. I am really trying to avoid it being towed to the dealer for them to use the scan tool to complete the job......very embarrassing if that were to happen.

My question is......has anyone manually bled the brakes on their Journey yet? If so, could you please share your experience as I won't start this job if it requires the use of a scan tool.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

Haven't done my Journey yet, but, have done plenty of jobs on other MOPARs with the ABS system. Unless you dismantle, for repair, the ABS system, there is no need to bleed it unless you've used it a lot (not likely for most of us) and you have a boatload of air in the fluid (also not likely). Just ignore the ABS bleeding and do the "normal" manual brake bleeding as there is a very small likelihoood of you having introduced any air into its system. The ABS system only cycles brake fluid when it is used and usually doesn't take up air unless you've run the brake system virtually dry or you've dismantled for an ABS system type repair.

No need for the scan tool if you use the bleeders on the calipers and a suction device or the "pedal pushing" system.