Aftermarket Keyless Entry Keypad

drphil

My wife locked herself out of her Journey the other day and as I was driving the 20 mile trip to "save" her, I was thinking about a product I know I've seen before...an aftermarket keyless entry keypad. I've got an OEM version on my Ford truck, so I know how handy they can be.

I've found some that seem pretty cheap in appearance and, I imagine, quality. I've found several websites that sell them for Fords, but not Dodge specific. I understand that the aftermarket ones are wireless, and operate similarly to a keyless entry remote...the proper code is entered and a signal is sent to the keyless entry system to unlock the door(s). The person that was describing this product to me indicated that it was a pretty straight-forward installation - that the keypad just adhered or is fastened to the exterior of the door (meaning no door-panel removal or drilling or cutting, etc, etc).

Anybody know of a product like what I'm describing, that will work for a Journey?

Any personal experience with an aftermarket product such as this?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Steve

• 5 weeks later...
I've seen those too and I just gave up my Ford which I used that a lot on. I wish they had a Chrysler hard wired one. I haven't used the aftermarket one, but am very tempted. let me know if you end up doing it and I'll do the same.

Thanks, yeah, I'll let you know if I find something I really like. I've found one that is hardwired, but I guess what I had in mind didn't require cutting metal on the door and running down wires. Somebody had told me there was one out there that you screwed into the door, squirted a line of silicone around to seal it and give it that permanent appearance, but it took batteries and worked like your wireless keyless-entry remotes, just using a code instead of a single button.

The keypad I've got on my truck gets used a LOT...so I definitely want something.

If you are indeed looking for a hardwired one, though, check this link out: http://www.keyless.com/KE-1600%20Main.htm