Almost bought mine last night...

caheaton

Well, almost become the proud owner of a new Dodge Journey last night. A local dealer here has a good price on a black SXT, but I had a feelling the negotiations wouldn't go well when they offered me $500 trade in allowance for my existing vehicle. The KBB of the vehicle..,in average condition (of which mine was maybe a tiny step above due to new tires, new brakes, no dents or scratches, etc) is $2,650 for a trade in and around $4,050 for a retail sale. I was a bit insulted by their offer. I asked them why and they made up some crap about the vehicle having a poor safety record (I just double checked...motor trend does list it's rating as only 5 stars!). They did have it marked down already well below sticker, but they refused to budge much below their asking price...I wanted them to come down 600, they came down about 200 and then neither of us would budge. So, after 2 hours of bargaining they lost a deal over $400. It's been on their lot for a month, with the asking price having dropped by $1000 in that time, so we'll wait and see. There are a couple of dings in the paint...(light scuffs in the finish), that's likely why it was marked down. That may work in my favor...hoping they'll call me back but if they don't, I feel time is on my side with the 2014 models coming soon....

Craig

Edited by caheaton

Yeah, if a dealer is hurting they should call you back or email you (if one provided). And that is a ridiculous offer for a trade in, everywhere around here has at least a $1,000 trade in no matter what. And them loosing a sale over $400 is pathetic. I would point out the flaws in the vehicle and see if its missing anything and bring that up in the bargaining, thats what I did when we were looking at a used Saturn astra, brought up the stuff it was missing and some of the flaws in the paint and interior, took the KBB of the car and said, look the price is a little high and with, x, y, z being wrong/faulty the price should be lower. And they did they lowered the price by $1,000. I guess with the DJ and more importantly that dealer it was just not meant to be. There are a lot of DJs out there so just step away from the dealer and keep an eye out, cars.com and autotrader.com can be your best friend.