Video formats for rear screen viewing

I'm looking to buy a 2013 RT model and was wondering if anyone can help with what video formats are supported through the player.

The plan would be to plug a USB hard drive loaded with movies into the usb input l to play on the screen for the rear passengers.

The file formats would be .avi or .mp4 or .mkv.

Does anyone know if this is possible to do?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

just picked up our 2013 DJ R/T and i am sorry to inform you that it doesn't support any video formats :(.. it lacks any CODECS necessary to decode any video formats... I was just as bummed as im sure you are....The only format it is compatible with is audio(.MP3) ...

Also the only way you can play a DVD is by putting one in the player, you cant even rip a DVD and put it on a USB drive...

Edited by biohazard

Thanks for the info. I guess I. Could plug a WD media player into e RCA inputs, have a USB hdd connected to that to make it work. Would just mean no touch screen access in the front though I guess.

Still undecided on whether to buy one or not. Any other tips on the media side of things that are worth knowing?

You're right. If you have rear screen, you have the rear aux input.

I neglected that.

The lockpick doesn't allow video playback from the sd card is the answer you were really looking for.

For those without the rear screen option, the lockpick adds aux input for video.