Is AWD Engaging

Well I imagine this is a very simple question for those of you out there that have the AWD is there a light on the console that lights up when the vehicle goes into AWD. I have yet to see it and thats why I am asking. I have driven in some really heavy rain as well big puddles the whole nine yards and have yet to see anything was wondering if it happens behind the scences allthough this does not make sense.

Jay

Well I imagine this is a very simple question for those of you out there that have the AWD is there a light on the console that lights up when the vehicle goes into AWD. I have yet to see it and thats why I am asking. I have driven in some really heavy rain as well big puddles the whole nine yards and have yet to see anything was wondering if it happens behind the scences allthough this does not make sense.

Jay

the only time you'll get a light is when it's not working properly. Otherwise it's transparent and happens behind the scenes

• 11 months later...
the only time you'll get a light is when it's not working properly. Otherwise it's transparent and happens behind the scenes

The AWD system is fully automatic and active all the time.

The engine torque is normally 90% to the front wheels and 10% to the back (approx).

If the front wheels begin to lose traction (slip/spin) a viscous coupling reacts and transfers

the torque to the rear wheels. It is a nice, simple and effective method. The older AWD Dodge mini-vans

used a similar system…I finally traded a 2000 Grand Caravan AWD in for the 09 Journey SXT AWD.

BTW – never had an issue with the vans AWD system during the 10 years of service.

Keith in Syracuse NY USA