custom tail lights

• 1 year later...

I would guess not. Unfortunately, the Journey is neither a "hot seller" nor a youth market "blingmobile". Things like headlight and tail light assemblies have to be DOT approved (that's US, I'm sure our Canadian neighbors have a similar agency) and that takes time and money to make prototypes, do the testing, apply for certification, provide samples for DOT testing, time for the testing, etc... Unless the developer feels there is a large enough market to pay for such an investment in time, money, and materials they don't bother with the development. I ran into the same thing with the Jeep Commander. Plenty of mods for things that aren't regulated (visors, deflectors, roof racks, tow hooks, etc.), but, precious little of things that needed government intrusion, I mean approval... That's why there are so many that are inclined to push the legality of "converting" non-HID designed headlights into HID glare boxes. There, again, are specific design considerations for proper HID construction regarding glare, light out put, cut-off, etc. and the engineering for a properly designed HID headlight is even more extensive than tail lights, the aftermarket for those is limited to high volume sales models due to their complexity of design.

If you are looking for the popular "Euro" style clear lensed tail light assemblies, you may have a long wait, if they are ever developed. You can make your LED conversion of existing incandescent lights (make sure you match LED color to lens color for brightness), but, I have to warn you that you may also be skirting a DOT legality. If you look (research) LED tail lights, you will find that the red lens for a tail light is actually has a refractory difference than those made for incandescent bulbs...you may find that the conversion may have a lot of "bling" from directly behind, but, the angular cut-off may make them invisible from off-angle viewing, a considerable safety issue. Just one of the LED light output peculiarities...it is very linear from the surface of the LED, very little off-axis light output. That's what the little clear domes on some of the LEDs is for, to try and improve off-axis light output. Just a safety warning if you go that route...bling at the cost of your personal safety is not worth it in my book...

And, yep, I, too, am in that group that really likes the LEDs on my 2013!

Edited by webslave